Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 04:12
Hi,

I'm planning to stay 8 days on/in Shikoku and Chugoku from 22.10.
I thought I stay best at Naruto and Takamatsu as I'm travelling with JR-Rail-Pass.

Now I'm a bit stuck as I'm coming from Toyama and the distance between Toyama - Takamatsu/Naruto is quite far (~6hrs). I don't want to lose almost a day just travelling. So I guess I need to place a station in between.
Do you have any suggestion for a route from Toyama to Shikoku?
I have been to Kyoto for a week already, which I think might have been the best spot. (Of course that would always be an option). I have also been to Osaka, Nara and Himeji.

Thank you!
by WortPirat  

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 09:46
Have you thought about Kanazawa?
by andy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 09:51
I would say you need to decide how much you want to break the trip up by. If you want to do most of your traveling day 2, pick Kanazawa, as it is much closer to Toyama. If you want about 1/2 way, pick Kyoto or maybe Kobe though you would need to get back and forth from Kobe proper to Shin-Kobe at some point for travel onwards. If you want closer to Takematsu, pick Okayama. Okyama has one of the top 3 gardens in Japan and while I've never stayed there, I enjoyed all the times I've visited.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 10:06
Going to Tokushima by rail from Eastern Japan is often lengthy due to the fact that you must do a large detour through Okayama, which is relatively far to the west. However, there is no other way if you want to use a JR Pass.

If you can bear an extra cost of a couple thousand yen, you can take a bus from Osaka, which will be faster than rail since it takes a more direct route (through Awaji island).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 14:17
It really depends on your interests. Almost smack bang in the middle of the two is Biwako/Hikone/Ostu. Worth a look if you are into castles/lake cruises/temples.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 15:53
If you don't plan on doing anything in the added location aside from sleep, go in the evening after touring around Toyama to Okayama, stay there, and catch an early train to Shikoku. You won't really lose any time that way.
by answer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/27 23:52
Thanks for your suggestion!
Biwako seems like a nice option. I'll look into that.

Ah a nice onsen ryokan would be nice for a stopover. But they seem so expensive this year :/
by WortPirat rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/8/28 02:35
Hi,nice to meet you.
i live in Okayama. so maybe Naruto is here? i think :)
Chugoku area is good by train, shinkansen or local train or bus..
maybe most cheep will bus.
if you come to plane,jetstar landing Takamatsu airport.its Shikoku area.
but Takamatau and Okayama catch the train only one hour.
anyway if you have other question, i can ask you.
because i live Okayama:)
have a good trip in Japan.
by shizukammy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toyama to Shikoku 2017/9/6 05:28
Thanks for all your input.
I decided to take one night stop at Kyoto before heading to Okayama as a hub to visit that area and possibly Shikoku.

:)
by WortPirat rate this post as useful

reply to this thread