Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/28 17:22
I'm wondering if there is any other places that is similar to Kamakura and is accessible within 2 hours at most?
by Black Joker  

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/28 18:49
Similar in what way and accessible from where? If you don't mind not having the sea but looking for some ancient town atmosphere, and are coming from central Tokyo, how about Kawagoe?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/28 21:31
If your asking about temple towns such as Kamakura, there are not really any towns near Tokyo that are anywhere near this quality. If your looking for a traditional town, then Kawagoe is probably a better fit than Kamakura. There are a large number of traditional towns in Japan, but not too many of them are near Tokyo. They tend to be in more rural areas.

I can't think of many other towns such as this within 2 hours of Tokyo, but others may know.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/28 22:29
Maybe Sawara? If we are talking within 2 h from a Tokyo. Also Nikko could be in that category, I guess.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/29 08:40
Two hours from where?

There really isn't any other places like Kamakura (and don't skip Enoshima). I've seen several people make comparisons to Kanazawa, but from Tokyo that would be a bit over, at about 2½ hours by the Kagayaki bullet train.
It's well worth seeing though.

For that amount of time, you could be in Kyoto by the Nozomi bullet train too.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/29 09:32
Two hours covers a lot of ground from Tokyo. Nikko, Sendai, even Nagoya and Nagano are within two hours. On the other hand, some locations withing Tokyo are two hours travel!

What are you looking for in relation to "similar" to Kamakura? Lots of temples (they are everywhere), former Japan capitals (less common), nice scenic spots (too many to mention).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/29 14:12
Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm thinking of heading to Kawagoe this Saturday.
by Black Joker rate this post as useful

Re: Any places similar to Kamakura? 2017/8/30 22:07
I know you already said you'll go to Kawagoe, but I'll still give some thoughts

When I think "like Kamakura", my thought is "has lots of worthwhile, historic temples and/or shrines". Near Tokyo, I'd say:
-Nikko
-Chichibu
-Nagano (Zenkoji and hiking all three parts of Togakushi Shrine)

If a mix of historic districts is enough, others have mentioned many:
-Kawagoe
-Sawara
-Koga (Ibaraki)
-Ashikaga and Tochigi City
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread