Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/30 21:00
Hi, all!
So I'm going to Japan this December for my 3rd time. My plan is I'll use Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass for the first 5 days, and buy Kansai Area Pass for the next 3 days. But I have question about my itinerary:

Dec 1: Home - Osaka (overnight flight)
Dec 2: Kansai Airport - Hiroshima
Dec 3: Hiroshima - Iwakuni - Miyajima - Hiroshima
Dec 4: Hiroshima - Kinosaki Onsen
Dec 5: Kinosaki Onsen - Amanohashidate - Kyoto
Dec 6: Kyoto - ??? - Kyoto
Dec 7: Kyoto - Uji - Osaka
Dec 8: Osaka - Kobe - Osaka
Dec 9: Osaka and (probably) Kyoto (just to see the Hanatoro at Arashiyama in the evening)
Dec 10: Osaka - Home

So this also will be my 3rd time visiting Kyoto, and I've visited almost all the main attractions such as Fushimi Inari Taisha, Arashiyama, Kiyomizu-dera, etc. However in December 6, I just realized that I'll have a full day but I don't know where to visit since I've booked the accommodation in Kyoto for that day. I have visited Nara in my previous trip so I'm not planning to go there again. From my alternative list, I have Himeji in top priority, but I think visiting there won't take too long.

Can you please recommend me where can I go for sightseeing from Kyoto for a full one-day trip that I can reach by using the Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass? Is Himeji really worth to visit from Kyoto? Is there any nearby spot can be visited from Himeji if it doesn't take long to visit Himeji?

Actually I prefer to visit somewhere that not many tourists know but really worth it to visit, but I'm open to any ideas. Thank you very much!
by AeroHollister  

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 10:56
How about Nara? It's a famous place for daytrip from osaka/kyoto.
by Selvia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 11:25
Himeji will make a good day trip from Kyoto. Two main attractions in Himeji are Mt. Shosha and the castle, and visiting both will take a whole day. If you want to see something other than temples, then perhaps swap Mt. Shosha for Arima, an onsen town near Kobe which is located between Himeji and Kyoto.
by Naomi 0 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 11:26
How about Nara? It's a famous place for daytrip from osaka/kyoto.

As I said in my first post, I have visited Nara in my previous time to Japan, where I've visited Todai-ji and Nara Park. So, I'm not planning to go there again.

Anyway, maybe can you recommend somewhere nearby or in outskirts of Kyoto where I can visit?
Also, is it worth it to go in the Sagano Scenic Railway in December? As mentioned here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3965.html

Thanks!
by AeroHollister rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 14:14
Himeji could be combined with your trip to Kobe, depending on how early you go and how much you have planned to do in Kobe.

As for day trips from Kyoto that is not Nara the Kansai section on the website here gives good recommendations. Koya could be an option but is better with an overnight stay as you will not be able to see it all in one afternoon.
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 15:43

the Sagano Scenic Railway in December
In my opinion, Sagano Scenic Railway is a waste of time and effort . Way overrated.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 15:53
Iga Ueno
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 15:56
Himeji could be combined with your trip to Kobe, depending on how early you go and how much you have planned to do in Kobe.

In Kobe, if possible I'm going to Nunobiki Herb Garden (maybe), Kitano-cho, Meriken Park, Sannomiya areas, Chinatown. I'm planning to stay in Kobe until evening so I can see the Kobe Luminarie. It's gonna take a whole day I guess.

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 17:42
Hikone and Lake Biwa. Really pretty and very close, way underrated
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 17:49
Have you thought about cancelling that one nights accommodation in Kyoto (in not already paid) and stay a night at Mt Koya in a Temple lodging?
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 18:14

Kobe Luminarie

Check the date :
http://kobe-luminarie.jp/
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 18:19
It is not realistic to do both Iwakuni and Miyajima in one day. Rather than going to a place near Kyoto that clearly you weren't interested in as then you wouldn't have asked for suggestions. Why not do one of each on separate days. That way you wont have to rush and skips things.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/8/31 18:42
Thanks for the suggestion, guys!

Hikone and Lake Biwa. Really pretty and very close, way underrated
I've talked to my friend who's living in Nara now, and he said the very same thing! He said that Japanese local tourists often go to Lake Biwa. I'm interested to go there actually, but I don't know where else to visit other than Hikone Castle and Genkyuen Garden as stated here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7000.html. Is there a good spot to see Lake Biwa in Hikone?

Kobe Luminarie
I've read the website http://kobe-luminarie.jp/ and it stated that the event starts on December 8th, so it matches my time when I go to Kobe.

It is not realistic to do both Iwakuni and Miyajima in one day.
I've asked the question about that here: http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+158883
Overall responses stated that it's possible IF I just visit Kintai Bridge and nearby and then go to Miyajima in the afternoon until evening.

Why not do one of each on separate days.
The problem is I've booked my accomodation so where I'm staying is already fixed. I'm arriving in Hiroshima from Kansai Airport in the afternoon since my flight arrives in the morning, and on that day I'm just traveling inside the city of Hiroshima, like to the Atomic Bomb Dome, Okonomimura, Shukkei-en, and Hiroshima Castle.

Re: Where to visit for one day trip from Kyoto? 2017/9/1 15:09
Hi Aero,

I used to live in Kyoto, and I'd also suggest Lake Biwa, or doing some hiking.

If you really want to actually see the lake, I advise visiting the Biwako Valley ski resort:

http://www.4corners7seas.com/snowboarding/snowboarding-in-asia/japan-s...

You don't have to ski, you can get a ticket just to go up on the cable car to see the views. The train ride there along the elevated Kosei Line is quite nice too, with lake views.

You can also hike from the lake along the Biwa Canal back to Kyoto, it's a pretty cool hike:

http://www.4corners7seas.com/asia/japan/hiking-kyoto/biwako-canal/

(Although there are better Kyoto hikes e.g. Kurama-Kibune or Mt Atago)

I'm of the opinion that you can never have too long in Kyoto; there's far more to it than temples & shrines, and if you get out into the mountains there's some amazing stuff to explore.

As for Himeji - on the day you land, it would be possible to jump off the shinkansen in Himeji, visit the castle then get back in the train to Hiroshima. Obviously you may not fancy that after a long flight! But it would be a handy time saver.
by Simon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread