Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/7 02:34

How many days are enought to see TOKYO?
I am planning to visit Japan for 20 days and see Tokyo ,Kyoto and one or few some less know Japanese places.

Is TOKYO like any other big city ?I have already been to big cities in Europe Paris,Berlin,etc.
by Rahul Raj  

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/7 11:54
by Ed Okko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/7 12:13
Tokyo is a big city, but you are forgetting the fact that Tokyo has a completely different history and cultural background from any European big cities. Please read the "Destinations" section of this Japan Guide, and select places that interest you. Also if this is your first time to visit Japan, try the "Suggested Itineraries" available. Enjoy planning AND traveling!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/7 13:28

How many days are enough to see TOKYO?
It is a rather subjective question, hence very difficult to provide a good reply.
You are spending 20 days in Japan, if you do not like big cities 2 days would suffice; otherwise, and if you are first-timer 5 days would be better; a lot of things to see in Tokyo, not to mention the surrounding cities.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/7 19:09
Very subjective indeed.

No one answer will ever be correct. All you can do is decide on what you want to do each day, and total up the number of days you need.

If you are looking for a generalized figure of how many nights you should spend just to make it all work. Then with your 20 days, I'd assign 6 for Tokyo, 6 for Kyoto, and the final 8 for your non-Tokyo/Kyoto locations. Maybe +1/-1 depending on taste.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/7 21:15
If you follow what @hakata14 suggests then it fits around a 14 day JR pass as well.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/8 02:03
Thanks for the reply.

I have never been to JAPAN.So i guess 6 days in TOKYO is enough.I don't like to see things in a hurry.
And i am budget traveller.
Tokyo and Kyoto are must see in my list.I think Tokyo/Kyoto will take 12 days of me.

Can you suggest which other off-beat places should i see?I would like to visit places with good public transportation.I would like to avoid expensive taxis.

And should i get a 14 day JR pass?
by Rahul Raj rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/8 02:33
A 14 day rail pass is quite expensive and doesn't really help very much while you are in Tokyo and Kyoto/Kansai area. I am not sure you'd all of it.

You could get a 7-day Hokuriku Arch Pass, and spend a week going the long way through Chubu to get between Tokyo and Kyoto: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_arch.html

Kanazawa and Toyama are medium sized cities worth visiting and they offer bus or trains to Shirakawa, Takayama and other smaller sites and cities.

Or there's a 5 day Hiroshima pass you could use after Kyoto. It covers Hiroshima, Miyama and lots of cities along the main bullet train line that are worth exploring. It is a lot cheaper than a full JR pass: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html

Or you could upgrade that to the full Sanyo Sanjin pass for two more days and coverage all the way to Fukuoka and Matsue in addition to the above: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_sanyo_sanin.html

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/8 02:44
@Rahul Raj I'm genuinely not trying to seem rude. The Destinations link at the top of this page is the best place to start. Look at places that sound interesting to you. Public transport in Japan is fantastic and you should be able to get anywhere you want on it.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/8 06:46
A 14 day pass would work if Hiroshima is included within your travels. Add in Nagasaki/Fukuoka and it well and truly pays off. Two night each.

And you still have 3 to 4 days left to play with and add you own destinations.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Number of days in Tokyo 2017/9/8 06:47
A 14 day pass would work if Hiroshima is included within your travels. Add in Nagasaki/Fukuoka and it well and truly pays off. Two nights each.

And you still have 3 to 4 days left to play with and add you own destinations.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread