Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/14 06:50
So, I've been learning Japanese for about 2 years and been to Japan once as a tourist.

I will graduate next year in Information Systems(bachelor's degree), so I was planning in trying to get a job as a programmer in Japan around 2020/21, I've been looking around some positions in the internet and many of them ask you to be living in Japan...

So my question is, if I enter in Japan as a Japanese language student for a year long course, can I start looking for full time jobs(which offer visa sponsorship) while there? If I can, do I have to wait a minimum time? Is it frowned upon by companies?
Besides losing the money I paid for the Japanese classes, is there anything else to be worried about?

(My country does not offer working holiday visa)
by Felipeoliveira  

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/14 18:09
Yes you can start looking for a job while being in Japan as a student.

There is a risk that you might not find any job after all; when they say they are looking for someone living in Japan, the potential employer might mean that (1) they want you to be in Japan so that they can see/interview you in person, and/or (2) they prefer to hire someone who already has some kind of work-permitting resident status, so that they don't have to go through the hassle of applying for a work visa for you. If someone on a student visa applies, they have to help you with the change of resident status anyways.

Things depend on whether they really need IT resources or not, particularly in the field of your expertise, at the time you start looking around. So if you "want to" learn the language, go for it. At least you'll get better with the Japanese language. But if your sole aim for attending such a school is to "be in Japan," you might want to think a bit more - one year of tuition and living expenses is not that inexpensive.
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/14 22:58
Thank you for replying!

Yes, I meant to do the Japanese classes in order to sharpen my Japanese at the time, but also to be in Japan in order to find a job. I've seen most of the companies saying that they would be open to sponsor the working visa, but I'm not sure if they mean they would do that for someone under the working holiday visa only... that's definitely something to be careful about.

I really wanted to try hitting a job in Japan, so I could start living there, but if that didn't happen, one year of studying wouldn't be bad at all. It's just that when I was in Japan I met some programmers there who told me that the IT Market is very accepting of foreigners in comparison with other ones. I wish my country could provide working holiday visa, it would make everything much easier
by Felipeoliveira rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/14 23:48
I don't think it matters you're on WH; the company would still need to apply for a regular work visa if they want to hire you permanently.

Sure you can look for jobs while studying, if you plan to study anyway, there is no harm done. Unless there is a sudden surge of programmers, I think you can find a company, especially if you get your Japanese up to a good level.
by 88Tim rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/15 02:42
Thank you for your reply Tim!
Yeah, hopefully by the time I go to Japan, my Japanese will be at a decent level, some more time speaking Japanese everyday and I should be good to go.

I've met some programmers in Japan who adviced me which technologies I shoud specialize in, in order to become more suitable for the Japanese programming companies. I've seen many companies willing to get recent graduates, even if at first they don't have the best salaries, you can at least get to live and later on find something else when I have some more experience.

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/15 14:05
Once you have a job offer and are ready to complete your course of study, you go to immigration and ask to change your status of residence. The company who is going to employ you will need to provide a few things including some documents to verify their budget, your contract, etc. It's very common for students to take a full-time job here after finishing their studies, and completely legal as long as you follow the change of status of residence procedures. It will just require cooperation from the company that hires you.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/16 03:33
Hello Gigi,

So let's say I am applying for 6 months language program in Japan, I would be able to jut get a job jut by the end of the course? Could I at least job hunt in the mean time?

I'm not sure how these programs work, if I apply for 6 months would I study 5 months and then have one free month or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/16 12:49
If your program is 6 months, then you study for 6 months in principle. Of course, a school is not a prison and you are free to leave whenever you want, but this may have consequences on your ability to stay in Japan (since the reason you were allowed in Japan is to study).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/16 13:51
There is no guarantee that you find a job by the end of a 6-month period. But while you are a student on a student visa, you can start looking around.

If you apply for a 6-month course, you're expected to attend your classes for 6 months. You don't get any "extra time" on your visa for additional activities.

Usually "full time" language course (eligible for a student visa) is 3 - 4 hours of classes per day, 5 days a week.
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to work visa 2017/9/18 06:57
Really thankful for all your help!

I kinda grasp what you're trying to say... "well this guy is on a six month program, but he really fits what we're looking for in our company. If we let him go, we'll lose him" kinda deal right? Feels like a chance but a big shot/Whishful thinking at the same time...
I mean, the only thing I can actually do is try my best to be the best professional I can be in order to build a strong resume, for when I try to apply to something like that.

Thanks a lot, really!

reply to this thread