Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Critique my plan 2017/9/17 00:56
Hello again guys. I posted a question regarding how to end up in Japan before. I've come up with a plan and would like it critiqued if possible, if you see any issues with it please let me know!

27 years old, male, Swedish national, 6.5 years experience in IT, no Uni degree. Plan on living in Japan in the future.

By April 2018 I plan on joining a "Bekka"(Basically university taught Japanese class, 3 hours a day) on a student visa while also working 28 hours a week on an remote IT job. I confirmed with immigration this is allowed. While doing this I will also study for the ITPEC test, which is a test that when passed, allows you to skip the "10 year experience or 4 years" uni requirement of the Japanese Engineer visa.

If I fail to pass this test before my Bekka ends which is 1 year, I will apply for Japanese university for undergraduate studies. My thinking is that this 1 year can serve as a test if I will want to stay in Japan for longer period of time.

Ideally doing an undergraduate study in my own country is better, since its free. However due to personal reasons I have no desire to stay in this country any more.

Any issues with this plan from any perspective I cannot see? Other than the obvious issue that Japanese Uni will cost money where a Swedish one won't.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks!
by Secerbus  

Re: Critique my plan 2017/9/17 09:23
28 hours a week may not earn you enough money to live in a large city in Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Critique my plan 2017/9/17 13:41
I hope you have sufficient savings to support your living & tuition for the duration of your studies, be it "Bekka" or undergraduate course.

While working part-time on a student resident status in Japan is allowed with a separate permission to supplement your living expenses, when you apply for your student visa initially, you will need to show to the immigration authorities that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies without working in Japan.
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Critique my plan 2017/9/17 16:38
Hello!

Yes in Sweden there is a service called CSN, which allows is basically like a national loan service intended for academics. If I show them I have been accepted, I may loan I think about 5,000,000 yen for tuition costs, plus additional for living expenses.

by Secerbus rate this post as useful

Re: Critique my plan 2017/9/18 07:21
28 hours a week on an remote IT job
So the job is not in Japan? The permit (28 hours per week) is for work in Japan.

I can see some issues with the plan, and they might become self evident once you are here studying and doing your work - basically if you want to stay or not. Like a lot of cases, make sure you understand your tax obligations in your home country and Japan as you become liable for taxes while in Japan if you are living here for more than 1/2 a year (but you should drop off in your home country - but not necessarily).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Critique my plan 2017/9/18 14:40
Hi OP, could you please elaborate on what's wrong with Sweden? I'm interested in both countries to move in but have a hard time to decide and would like to hear some opinions. I noticed that there are lots of people from your country who are willing to move to Japan nowadays but got no clue why. You can send PM if you don't want to post it here.
by Vitazzz rate this post as useful

Critique my plan 2017/9/19 02:35
Secerbus, At First I want to thanks you For your Nice Decision.In Blink eye,It seems that Japanese University is much more expensive for Prospective students.But In Reality it is much more affordable.In Japan,we several thousands students studying in University.Think Total number of Foreign students=100,(A)More than 60% of Foreign students come with scholarship,Such as JASSO, Monbukagakusho,MEXT, JDS,Japan Foundation scholarship etc.In this 60% A great number of Foreign students come As an "Exchange Students".So they study 4 yrs or Duration of Study period with none fees(including admission fees, tuition fees etc.Even A lot of students Air Fare paid by scholarship organization.(B)Now less than 40% students,this incoming Foreign students study as a self Finance student.Among them 30% get some Form of scholarship,after their admission.
C)Now we got less than 10%Foreign students,who pay 100% of their admission fees, tuition fees etc.
About Language school in Japan:Almost 90%+ students pay 100% of their admission fees, tuition fees
application fees etc.About Part time Job:you will not found a single Foreign Uni student,stay idle/lazy either he get scholarship or not.About Graduates From University:Their Job rate is much more Higher than a Language school students.In Japanese University ,Either you study English based or Japanese based programme,You must study Japanese Language As a compulsory subjects.So I again tell you,I think it is totally waste of time and waste of money to study in a Language school .However Thanks again For your Nice Decisions.Good luck and Wish you all the Best.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread