Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Disposing of Large Sofa Cheaply in Tokyo? 2017/9/18 16:35
So I have a large 3-seater couch that I'm looking to get rid of. Despite originally being a reall expensive couch, my cat has shredded the back and arms, and it's definitely seen better days. It would not be able to be resold, so I'm trying to figure out how to dispose of it.

I can speak Japanese fluently, so I can use Japanese services fine, but from what I can see, I would need to hire somebody to pick it up and dispose of it... and he cheapest option is like \12000?! Does anybody know of a cheaper method, or do I just have to suck it up?
by KaileneDanae  

Re: Disposing of Large Sofa Cheaply in Tokyo? 2017/9/18 18:58
Did you contact your local 区役所? Other larger items can get collected by them, so probably sofas as well. You need to agree a date and buy a certain number of "stickers" for an established amount. And then you just leave the sofa at the agreed place on the agreed day.
This obviously assumes that you are able to move the sofa from your apartment to the street.

Although you say that it is now quite destroyed and bad looking, you might still be able to find someone who wants your sofa for free. One could put a big blanket on it. So Craigslist or eBay could be an option. Just be transparent about the state of the sofa.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Disposing of Large Sofa Cheaply in Tokyo? 2017/9/18 21:14
Warning - the following link is not intended to be serious (despite some people actually reading the site and believing the "news".)

https://www.therisingwasabi.com/gaijin-disposes-of-futon-at-local-konb...

My local city has a special collection for large items - maybe your local area has a similar scheme. I think it is designed for things like furniture and large appliances (fridges). Give them a call.

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Disposing of Large Sofa Cheaply in Tokyo? 2017/9/19 02:41
people usually throw those things out as a "sodaigomi"
you call your city or ward office or where ever and tell them you want to throw out a sofa, they tell you the date they can pick it up and how much it costs/which sticker you need to get, you obtain the sticker at a conbini or the ward office, you put the sticker on your sofa and bring it out in the morning of or the night before the date they told you
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread