Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/26 10:52
Will appreciate if someone can advise is self driving in Sapporo during December period dangerous. I'm planning F&E trip with my 2 kids and with big lugguages is inconvienient to travel on public transportation.
by bitz7665  

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/26 13:20
Driving in Sapporo in winter is not dangerous. All the locals drive, but you should be cool with driving in snow.

I'd guess that you are not bringing along your luggage every day through Sapporo, so you could also consider a taxi e.g. from Sapporo station to your hotel on day 1 and a second taxi on your last day back to the station, if driving in snow isn't something you are comfortable with.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/26 14:20
Depending the period in December you go, driving in Sapporo would be possible in the winter. Main roads are accessible but the smaller roads or outside Sapporo would be another thing.

My advise is, If you have never driven in winter conditions, is simply don't. When a snow storm dumps a foot of snow, the roads and visibility will be treacherous. It's not worth the risk. And this will happen in the winter period.

Of course locals also drive in that period because they are used driving in snowy weather. But many accidents happens during that period.

I hope it helped you .
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/26 15:46
Thank you very much!
by bitz7665 rate this post as useful

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/26 17:32
I drove in different areas of Hokkaido last December and January, the roads were icy and slippery with sometimes a lot of snow to plow through. However, if you adjust your driving style it was not very difficult to drive, the rental car had 4WD and winter tires.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/26 17:34
We shot this video so you have an idea what to expect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jNIRH8KKVs
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/28 14:04
We drove in January two years ago . It was our first time driving in the snow being from the tropics. We found the roads and expressways were mostly cleared of snow so not much of a hazard. We did encounter snowy roads in Northern Hokkaido towards Furano. Just drive slowly and carefully and ask for snow tires and know where the defroster is!
by hosg15 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Self Driving in Sapporo 2017/9/28 22:20
Thank you all for sharing your experiences, appreciate
by bitz7665 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread