Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

National Museum of Japanese History 2017/9/27 20:12
Hi All,

I'm planning to visit Tokyo in mid/late October. As I will be arriving at Narita on a morning flight, and since it's on the way to the city, I plan to visit the National Museum of Japanese History as my first stop.

1. Aside from the differences in frequency of trains and prices, which is the better option to take if I'm going to travel on foot from the train station to the museum: the JR Narita Line or the Keisei Limited Express?

2. Are there luggage storage facilities (I'll be carrying a cabin size suitcase) at either the railway station or at the museum?

3. I am aware there is an English audio guide for the permanent exhibition (I don't understand Japanese) at the museum. I'm also interested in the special exhibition that's going to take place (on 1960s student radicalism). Based on past experience, are there English audio guides and/or English captions for exhibits in special exhibitions?

Thanks!
by NoviceFlaneur (guest)  

Re: National Museum of Japanese History 2017/9/28 16:43
1. Aside from the differences in frequency of trains and prices, which is the better option to take if I'm going to travel on foot from the train station to the museum: the JR Narita Line or the Keisei Limited Express?

Keisei-Sakura is closer to the museum. It will take 15 min by foot from the station to the museum.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=NARITA%20AIRPOR...

2. Are there luggage storage facilities (I'll be carrying a cabin size suitcase) at either the railway station or at the museum?

As I searched on the net, there seems to be no coin locker at Keisei-Sakura station. Good news is the museum has free coin lockers (you need to deposit 100 yen but after you use the locker the 100 yen will be back).

https://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/information/facilities.html

Search "コインロッカー".
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: National Museum of Japanese History 2017/9/28 18:02
by Asiramihsim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: National Museum of Japanese History 2017/9/29 15:36
Dear Asiramihsim

Thank you for your links! Yes, I completely understand that ultimately the best way to know more about the era is to learn Japanese. My understanding of the era is mainly through cinema: Art Theatre Guild (日本アート・シアター・ギルド) films, Koji Wakamatsu's 若松孝二 United Red Army (実録・連合赤軍 あさま山荘への道程), Masao Adachi's 足立正生 Red Army/PLFP: Declaration of World War (赤軍PFLP・世界戦争宣言), the documentaries of Shinsuke Ogawa 小川紳介.

There's a recent English book which did a good job summarising the era: 'Dissenting Japan: A History of Japanese Radicalism and Counterculture, from 1945 to Fukushima' by William Andrews. I heard that the mammoth '1968' by Eiji Oguma 小熊英二 is one of the best books about the topic - hope there'll be an English (or Chinese) translation sometime in the future.
by NoviceFlaneur (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread