Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 10:11
Hi I would like to find out what it is like to live in Kariya please.

So far I know it is 30 minutes from Nagoya, HQ for Densu and I think Toyota has a base nearby too.
What is the area like?
Is it rural or remote?
Is it foreigner friendly?
Are the people friendly?
Are there any known dangerous animals or insects there?
Is there a supermarket? What does it sell?

Any information would be much appreciated.
by Zimba123  

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 14:04
"Is there a supermarket" in a city of almost 150,000?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 17:53
Agreed. This is an odd set of questions. Let's see
What is the area like?
It's part of the general urban sprawl
Is it rural or remote?
It's not rural or remote
Is it foreigner friendly?
No more or less than the rest of urban Japan
Are the people friendly?
Are there any known dangerous animals or insects there?
Is there a supermarket? What does it sell?
!!!!! many.

A quick whizz round Google/Google maps would answer most of these.

by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 20:51
@Firas - I have never been there before and my questions were genuine. I'm sorry that you didn't like what I asked.

@Stan thank you. You were helpful and it is very much appreciated.

The reason I was asking is because I was told that it's a suburb of Nagoya. I'm not really sure what constitutes as a suburb in Japan, so I thought I should try and find out as much as I can beforehand.
by Zimba123 rate this post as useful

What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 21:32
Well,You are welcome in Kariya city.From Nagoya to Kariya 1 way cost=410‰~=24.4km.I strongly recommend you to invest 12310‰~ for 1 month rail pass For unlimited travel between Nagoya to Kariya.
At the same time I recommend you to go Buffet restaurant called Sweets ParadiseƒXƒC[ƒcƒpƒ‰ƒ_ƒCƒX.
Because Here you will eat unlimited amount of cake,sweets,drinks ,pasta.So here is no limit of food
and drinks item.If you go only once time,I am sure ,you will want to go 100 more times Like Me.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 22:57
Zimba,

Have you looked at the city's official website? The multilingual pages are made by automatic translation, but you can get the feel of the city.
https://www.city.kariya.lg.jp/

The city's travel guide website may be better.
http://www.kariya-guide.com/english/

You can use Google Street View to get a closer look of the area.

By the way, people on the internet tend to be nicer to you if you reveal the background of your question. For example, if you say "I'm going to live in Kariya, but I am so scared, and I am having trouble finding the city's website. Can anyone help?" people will be nicer. But if you throw random questions out of the blue, people will assume you never tried to do your homework.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/1 23:21
@Uco it's my first time posting on a forum. I don't usually post but because of the language barrier I was starting to feel a little bit anxious. Thanks for the advice.

I posted my questions because I might be moving to the area and I would really appreciate any information no matter how small. It'll really help me get a feel of the area and help me feel feel a little more informed.

I've used Google street view and some of the photos are 2years old. I've also been through the website. Thank you for asking. You main concern is that I was informed that Kariya is a suburb of Nagoya. I don't understand how a place can be classed as both a town and a suburb of another town. I did try Google but I couldn't find an explanation of the term suburb in Japan. What is a suburb in Japan?

suburb 2017/10/2 00:16
Well, I never thought that "suburbs" in Japan are any different than suburbs in most countries, but "a suburban town", as we call it, is a town all by itself, and yet it's kind of like a smaller version of a bigger town nearby.

For example, Kariya is a big enough town. Maybe a lot of people are born there, go to school there, work there, and die there. But the nearby Nagoya is a huge town. There are more private schools, more work and more excitement. So a lot of people commute from the suburbs to Nagoya to study or work or have fun. Meanwhile, many people may find Nagoya to be too big. So they choose to live in the more quiet or affordable suburbs. Or some suburbs are closer to the sea or the mountains or farms, and residents might prefer to live near those places. But compared to the rural countrysides, the suburbs are convenient enough.

That's what suburbs are. Maybe you're a very young person from a very different part of the world.

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 00:18
By the way, I don't think that 2-year-old photos are too old to be accurate. Do scenery change so drastically in your country?

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 02:02
@Uco thank you for the explanation. Yes I am from a different part of the world. This is why I asked, so that I could gain clarity. I am not sure how my age relates to this. Yes depending on building works some areas do change within a 2 year time frame.

Thank you for replying.

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 09:11
In Japan (and in all 20 countries I've been to) it's impossible for a whole town to change its figure within 2 years unless there was a huge disaster. At least, 2-year-old photos answers 3 of your first 6 questions. Even if there was a huge construction within the last 2 years, it doesn't affect your initial questions. By the way, I thought you could be a teenager who doesn't have enough experience and knowledge, because otherwise, an adult who has the ability to write as good as you would have figured things out differently. Here are some more info, which I found just by Googling "kariya, aichi".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kariya,_Aichi
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Tourism-g788301-Kariya_Aichi_Prefecture_Chu...

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 13:44
I don't live in Kariya, but i go there often for work. The atmosphere is inaka when compared to tokyo, but not as if you were living in the countryside completely isolated from civilization. It may not have a lot variety, but like any other city, it has supermarkets, stores, restaurants.... if you get bored you can always do a short trip to nagoya. still doesn't compare to tokyo, but that's not necessarily a bad thing
by borracho (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 16:55
Kariya is considered a suburb of sorts because it has a very quick direct connection to Nagoya. You can be in the Nagoya city center within an hour from Kariya. It's ... not the most beautiful place, but that's the case for a lot of manufacturing cities around Nagoya. At least you have mountains visible nearby. They have a very large international center there, which I think is partly due to the fact that the region has a relatively high number of immigrant workers.

But the supermarket question is a bit ... well, what did you think people did for food there? They will have all the basic life services that you need and the international center is quite well-equipped to help you with lifestyle information.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 17:39
@Firas

people come here for questions, if you feel proud enough than dont answer the question if you dont want. If you feel like god almighty than please remove yourself from this site.

@poster
you can also use google streetview to have a look around
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: What is Kariya like? 2017/10/2 18:00
@Gigi and Borraco thank you.

Some of the remarks on this thread are kind of rude. I remembered why I was reluctant to ask. Oh well it's fine. I asked my questions and thankfully I received responses.

Thank you for the comments. They are appreciated.

reply to this thread