Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/2 20:33
I need to go to takayama from toyama by hida limited express but i understand that the kansai hokuriku pass only covers the trip from toyama to inotani, whereas the hida limited express is going directly to takayama.
Do i need to align at inotani and buy another tix to takayama ?
Thank you
by guest (guest)  

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 07:44
You can do that.

You can also go to a ticket window/counter and purchase a ticket for the trip, and pay the difference the pass does not cover.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 09:15
Please stop using the word "difference"; it is misleading. You must pay the full price of the section not covered by the pass, which is not the same thing as the difference between the price for the full ride and the price of the covered section.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 09:56
I'm not going to argue terminology, but from my experience, do whatever you need to do to get a ticket all the way to Takayama if you are taking a Hida from Toyama. There are only 7-8 trains a day including locals and limiteds between Toyama and Takayama and you do want to exit at some station and have to wait upwards of 1 hour possibly 2 possibly even longer to continue on with your journey.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 10:12
There is still a difference in the cost of the pass and the additional face that needs to be paid to to ride the uncovered section if line and the uncovered limited express seat fare that the pass does not cover for the Hida Wide View train.

Whether a difference or additional cost is involved. I'm not here to harass and berate forum users on the English language proficiency. Growing up in the English dominated country, I am well aware that British, Irish, Scottish, American, Australia, African English can be very different in the way terms and verse are used. Those whom English language is a second language may not be aware of this fact.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 11:04
If you want to go from Toyama to Takayama, the Kansai Hokuriku Area pass covers Toyama to Inotani. If you take Hida Limited Express the fare for today is 3360 yen (base fare 1660 yen and reserved seat fee 1700 yen). The fare from Toyama to Inotani is 1940 yen (670+1270). The difference is 3360-1940=1420 yen. But actually you need to pay the fare for Inotani to Takayama which is 2670 yen (base fare 970 yen, reserved seat fee 1700 yen). You can use unreserved seat to cut down the fare though.

When you take the train and you already have the ticket or pass which do not cover the travel entirely (sometimes it does not cover the "reserved seat fee" or some part of the travel), sometimes you can do it by just add the difference, but usually you must pay the full fare#.

#If you have the Kansai Thru Pass and want to take the Limited Express which requires seat fee, you can do it by just buy the reserved seat ticket. But if you have the JR green pass and then want to take the GranClass seat, you must buy the GranClass ticket, not pay the difference between GranClass and Green seat.

I think Firas may want to say these things.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 11:30
Going back to the original question, you don't need to get off at Inotani. You can buy tickets (base fare and the Limited Express ticket) at the station you will get on the train (like Toyama or even Kanazawa) buy telling the staff you want to go from Toyama to Takayama. If it is too much task for you, you can just take the Hida express and show your pass to the train staff and buy the ticket from him/her. If you can't catch the staff on the train you can pay the fare at Takayama station. If you go to the ticket gate at Takayama and show your pass, the staff will tell you where to go.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Hokuriku area pass coverage 2017/10/3 11:43
So i need to buy different tix in toyama?
From inotani to takayama by hida?
When i went thru the manned gate, should i just show both my kansai hokuriku pass and the tix i bought before to the staff and they will understand?
If i didnt buy the tix, can i pay the adjustment to the staff when i show them my kansai hokuriku pass?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread