Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/3 08:09
Hi!
Im Maria from Argentina, and Ill be in March/April 2018, arriving/departing HanedaLs airport.

Ill be in Tokyo from 31st March to 5th April and then planning going to KYOTO. Im doing my best to plan this trip but my head is a mess, so please help me!!!

Im going 5 days to TOKYO, 1 day in KANAZAWA, 6 days to KYOTO, 1 day to NARA, 1 days to OSAKA, 2 days to MOUNT KOYA, 1 to MIYAJIMA, 2 days to OKINAWA (just one island) and 1 night in TOKYO because my flight is leaving early.

Those are the cities I wanna visit, but I have no idea about how to connect them! what do you thing of this itinerary? is it possible flight from Miyajima to Okinawa, and then to Tokyo?
I know that going to Mount Koya is a little messy also.

please help me, Im upside down!
thanks in advance.

Maria
by perico49  

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa, help me! 2017/10/4 09:20
Both Hiroshima and Iwakuni airports have one daily flight to Okinawa (Naha). Iwakuni airport is closest to Miyajima.

Both flights are in the morning, however, not sure how well that would work with your Miyajima plans.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa, help me! 2017/10/4 10:28
If you change the order of your itinerary a little bit and go to Hiroshima/Miyajima before Osaka it would be easier. There are lots of flights from Kansai Airport in Osaka to Naha, including LCCs like Peach. I would recommend going directly from Kanazawa to Hiroshima/Miyajima and then doing the Kansai area after that.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/4 16:03
Check flight times for Okinawa- 2 days may not give you much time there.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/4 23:06
Maybe I have to eliminate Okinawa from the trip. Can I take a Ferry to Miyajima? Im not interested in Hiroshima at all.
All this trip is a mess for me.
by perico49 rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/5 01:42
Yes, ferries are the most common way to reach Miyajima - a very short ride.

Your itinerary looks very reasonable without Okinawa. It can be overwhelming planning the first trip, but read the planning section and destination guides of this web site, and you will begin to see the light.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623b.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html
by Myk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/5 03:44
Don't be put off Okinawa - just maybe check the flight timings, allow for the time it takes to check in for each flight, and work out whether 2 days gives you enough time to make it worthwhile or whether you want to do a day or two less in another place.
It's easy to have a look at flight times...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/5 08:24
you are so polite! Thank you so much!
Im thinking in making an easier trip, I dont want to complicate everything with a lot of buses/trains/etc, and besides I cannot find an available Ryokan in Kyoto.
Maybe 16 days would be ok, and going to Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Mount Koya and Miyajima..,and thatLs the whole trip! and then flying to NYC. what do you think of that trip? Im completely upside down!
Thank you very much!
Maria
by perico49 rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/5 09:32
Dear Maria,
I totally empathise with you planning your first trip to Japan and getting things organised. I also have been planning my first trip to Japan next April since June and can completely understand what you're going through. I only have 14 days including 2 international travel days so I'm only left with 12 sightseeing/internal travel in Japan.

There is so much to do and see and never enough time. Initially I wanted to do Tokyo, Kanazawa, Takayama, Mt Fuji and Hakone, Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, and Koyasan, experience an onsen a and a stay in a ryokan. I'm not a big fan of theme parks but this trip is not just for me but for my family too so everyone gets to do something that they really want.
But I decided to focus on the most the important places that me and my family want to visit e.g. Tokyo with a visit to Disney Sea and Studio Ghibli, Kyoto, Universal Studios in Osaka, Hiroshima and Miyajima, and Hakone (perhaps with an overnight stay in a ryokan)?

The first thing I did was plan the route of travel and that took some time but with the help of hyperdia google maps, and this great site and forum, I got to understand the distances and travel time between them and I finally sorted it out, so for us it will be Tokyo- Hakone- Hiroshima- Osaka- Kyoto.

Next step was finding hotels in the dates I allocated to each city...and yes it was frustrating trying to find availability in a specific hotel/ryokan on the date that I wanted, but I noticed that some don't open their availability that early. Some will start releasing it day by day from beginning of October for April, so I'm checking their websites daily. Booking a few with free cancellation until I decide is what I did until I figure it all out. The most overwhelming thing for me was deciding on a hotel in Tokyo, but thankfully I finally did and that was a great relief!

So my advice is sit with your family or whoever you are traveling with, decide on what your priorities for this trip are and what things you want to do exactly in each location.

In regards accommodation, you don't have to stay in a ryokan in every city..
I realised earlier on in the search for accommodation that there are most ryokans in Kyoto are already fully booked for this period, so for the experience I am looking at an overnight in a ryokan in the Hakone area. If you are planning on staying in Miyajima then perhaps check ryokans there or on the shores of Hiroshima facing Miyajima (the area of Hatsukaichi for example).

Don't forget while planning to take the travel time from one city to another into consideration, e.g. Koyasan to Miyajima persay... that's like 5-6 hours including the ferry from Hiroshima, so that's like a day wasted just on travel. So maybe plan your route better. Miyajima is only 160min from Osaka (including the ferry time).

Like others said check flight times to Okinawa and if they suit your plan and budget then include it by all means.

Once you have sorted the big things such as accommodation and travel dates, then the planning of day to day activities begins, and things like ordering a 7 day JRP, tickets to Studio Ghibli (which I have to wait until January to order them on JTB website), Disney Sea and USJ tickets, the Suica cards, the pocket wi-fi, etc... (these are all early next year's tasks). But I always have plan A, B and C in case things don't happen according to my first wishes

I have settled in the end that the more I focus on one place the better, and there will always be another time to visit Japan and see the areas that I couldn't fit in my upcoming trip.

So take a deep breath and relax... you can't plan properly when you're stressed.
Perhaps enjoy a cup of green tea while planning. That should get you in a better mood.
So best of luck planning and enjoying your trip next year.

by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/5 10:53
Personally, I think Okinawa is really worth a visit! It has a very nice atmosphere, and a different vibe from mainland Japan. But it all depends on what you are hoping to see.

Miyajima is a short ferry ride (about 15 minutes) from Hiroshima on the mainland. In order to get there you have to go through Hiroshima, basically. As Kira said, relax, have some tea, and don't stress yourself out too much!
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: trip for 20 days including Okinawa 2017/10/5 12:15

You could still visit Okinawa from Osaka. Peach Air has several flights a day to Naha, and they can be very cheap: https://booking.flypeach.com/en/flight_search?access_uuid=2216d953-993...
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread