Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/4 23:11
Hello Community!
After my sightseeing trip through Thailand 2 years ago I planing now to travel through Japan. I am happy to have found this forum here so I can ask this nice Community how to organize this Japan trip in the best way.

Good Wishes to all of you

Regina
by Regina33  

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/5 17:54
This forum is not a travel agency. You will need to do some of your own research yourself first. Look at other posts - they are genuine questions the poster couldn't find an answer to themselves, or people asking for critique on their itinerary. You cannot ask people to plan your whole Japan trip for you, especially without any details.

This website is incredibly useful for planning - start by having a look around, reading about a few places, and deciding where you might like to go.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/5 18:51
Well, to your question: How to travel through Japan best... i would advice you to rent a car. Or even better to rent an RV so you have your hotel with you. And get of the beaten track (Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo). With your own transport you can come and go as you please. Google that option and read what amazing adventures people have.
by Alishan rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/5 19:34
Without sounding too negative - this is like asking the best way to travel around Europe. It depends on the person. Also - where are you going? How many people are you traveling with? What are their rough ages? This makes a big difference.

For general speed and ease , the Shinkansen cannot be beaten between major cities. When you get away from the main cities, then a car is extremely helpful. However, I tend to stay totally clear of major cities and cars if possible.

Japan is also quite a large country as well. If your going to Hokkaido and then going to Osaka or Kyushu, it's sometimes great to fly and use one of the 10,000 yen overseas tickets. As someone mentioned above, this website has designated sections for all of this....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/6 00:59
Create an itinerary based on your interests and the types of attractions you'd like to visit (using this invaluable site), reserve accommodations in advance in those places (especially if you are planning on visiting during cherry blossom or fall colors or Golden Week) and buy round trip airline tickets to Japan to cover the dates of your visit.

Research the Japan Rail Pass/other regional passes on this site or here:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/

In all my travels over many years I never found the need to rent a car in Japan. Rail, bus, ferry options are numerous and efficient and made much easier with passes. Accommodations can be in hotels, ryokans, guest houses, hostels. I have mostly stayed in ryokans on my trips - many are less expensive than hotels and/or more traditional. Most foreign visitors enter and exit at Narita (Tokyo) or Kansai (Osaka) but there are other major airports in large cities.

The search box in the upper right corner can answer many of your questions. If you get stuck though there are many commenters here who can help.

by sjvacc rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/6 02:42
by Read (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/9 21:40
Hello again and thanks for your replies!
I will try to follow the best replies from you as best as possible. Maybe someone knows also some interesting boat trips like that ones that get offered by the Club Champagne Phuket in Thailand?

regards Regina
by Regina33 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/10 01:43
Only you know your own interests. And everyone hasn't been on the boats like you mention.
Consider why you are visiting Japan - what appeals to you? Castles, temples, shrines, hiking, shopping, gardens....?
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/10 12:06

boat trips like that ones that get offered by the Club Champagne Phuket in Thailand?

Japan isn't Thailand. So if you want to repeat your experience from Thailand, travel to Thailand.

If instead you are interested in Japan, get a guide book or use this internet page to find out basic information about Japan and traveling and then start to plan your trip. Or just go to a travel agency in your home country and get them to make a plan for you.

Enjoy your trip to Japan or Thailand.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to travel through Japan best? 2017/10/13 00:03
Most first time visitor follow one of the itineraries here, depending on the time of year and the length of the visit: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

If you like boats and beaches look into visiting Okinawa. https://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1247.html

Depending on the season, there is a two hour river cruise near Kyoto: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3966.html

Have fun planning your trip!
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread