Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/9 18:16
Hi everyone!

I realise similar questions have been posted before, but I've suddenly found myself in a catch-22 with no clear solution and would appreciate any advice!

2015-2016 I was living in Japan no problem. I had a hanko, I had a bank account with my name in katakana, I had a phone contract etc.

Now, I have just moved back again (permanently), and though just one year has passed, I seem to be unable to do things as before.

I went to get the same sim card contract I had before from the same store and was rejected, with my zairyuu ka-do name not matching my credit card (my name is too long to fit on).

I went to open a Japanese bank account and while this succeeded, my name had to be shortened to fit on this card, (as has always been the case with all cards I've ever owned). Hence, my name on cards doesn't match my full name listed on zairyuu ka-do.

In my previous experience, simply leaving my middle name out caused no issues anywhere.
Yet somehow now, I seem unable to get a phone contract, but am also unable to get my whole name issued on a card because it simply doesn't fit.

What exactly can I do?
by Minnie2017 (guest)  

Re: Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/10 10:02
Have you tried a different store for the phone?

If you have trouble again, you can ask them to contact the credit card company. They have your full name on their records.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/10 10:19
I remember that with the old Alien Registration card, you could register an alias (you could remove your middle name, you could use a katakana name instead of alphabets, etc.) officially, and could use that. I wonder if that is still available with Zairyu Card system?
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/10 12:12
If the only problem is the phone, try a different shop or company. I have the same issue with name being too long so not matching on sairyu card and credit cards , but did not run (yet?) into these problems.

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/10 13:12
try another store ... surely one store most accept you...
by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/10 14:58
Have you tried talking to the shouhisha center (consumer affairs center)? Long story short, that usually works best. At least, they can direct you to the right places. You're a consumer in this situation, so you have every right to contact them.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Credit/debit cards not matching zairyuu ka-do 2017/10/10 18:06
thanks everyone for your replies!

I will definitely be trying more stores and see what happens...

I've also heard about the legal alias/ tsuushoumei thing, but seems like a hassle so I'm hoping I can find a way out before I do that!

I never even knew about consumer center, will be keeping that in mind!

Thanks for all the replies :)
by Minnie2017 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread