Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 07:34
Station to go Kyoto if we can't Please advice how to exchange at Odawara station
by Miky34 (guest)  

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 13:38
Yes, you can.
At the JR Central Ticketing Office of Odawara Station, open from 05:45 to 22:30.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html
by Odwalla (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 22:38
Thank you so much for your response. One more question: If we want to exchange JR Pass at Odawara Station, then what time we should be at the station to catch the Shinkansen Hikari Departure 08.08 a.m.? Please advice
Thanks again
by Miky34 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 22:58
Are you arriving in Japan at Odawara?
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 23:09
Hi! No we arrived at Narita Airport then we will take Romancecar at Shinjuku to Harkone, after stay two nights we take the train from Hakone Yumoto to Odawara, reason we exchange at Odawara because we have only 7 days Pass.
Thanks

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 23:22
I think that it is one thing when you exchange the voucher and an other when you set the first day of activity for you JR pass. Have a look at the JR pass information but as far as I know, you could exchange already at Narita or Shinjuku with a start date setting your departure in Odawara.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/17 23:34
Excellence Advice! We thought JR pass they will count the day we have exchange the ticket (voucher?), Make sure we understand you 100% JR pass will count the day we are using (activate) not the day we have exchange? Can we make the reservation the same time with the exchange the ticket?
Sorry! we ask you guy the dump questions, because we the first time travel in Japan and especially take the Train in Japan! it's the challenging for old couple!
Again, thank you for any advice.

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 02:03
When you exchange your voucher to a pass, you specify when you will start using it (I.e., you specify when Day-1 is). So you can do the exchange days (or weeks) in advance of Day-1.
by Odwalla (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 02:17
Can we make the reservation for Day 1 when we have the exchange the Voucher?
thanks

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 02:26
Yes you can. But be warned: the JR office at Narita can get very busy at times so you may have to wait a long time. You could also exchange your voucher for a pass and make your booking at Shinjuku Station.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 02:28
Not only can you exchange the voucher in Shinjuku or Narita when you arrive and select the start date you want, but you can also reserve shinkansen tickets for your start date (or anytime during that 7 day period) if seats are available. So if you arrive on 10/19 but know you want your pass to start on 10/22 when you want that 8:08 Hikari, you can reserve a seat on that 10/22 8:08 Hikari if one is available. And if you know on 10/24 you want to go from Shin-Osaka to Hiroshima, you can reserve that as well, again assuming there are reserved seats available.

In terms of catching the train at 8:08 from Odawara. if you don't know the station and depending on travel companions and amount of luggage It can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I always give myself a little extra time in Odawara to pick up a Starbucks for the train, but that is not important to everyone. You need to get from the private Odakyu/Tozan line to the JR shinkansen line. There is a 7:34 train from Hakone-Yumoto to Odawara arriving at 7:48 giving you more than enough time to get anywhere you need and grab something to eat if you are hungry. The next train from Hakone-Yumoto is at 7:47 arriving at 8:02. I've been to Odawara before so I know I could make the change in 6 minutes if I had to, but I would probably take the 7:34 to give me a cushion and because again, I like grabbing a coffee and a donut for my child for the train. I don't know where you are coming from in Hakone, so just be aware of transport times.

Sometimes Narita has a long line to exchange vouchers and sometimes it has no line. Last June when I arrived it was the latter and we just walked up to a person.

I hope this helps! :)

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 03:07
WOW! Your explanation is so Details. thank you so much.
Now, we can't make the reservation on the time and the first day we want in Odawara, so we will purchase the ordinary JR pass instead of green card pass? it will save us a lot of money? please advice

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 04:01
Hi Mikey,

Please take all this as anecdotal only. In June 2016, my daughter and I took the Hikari at 10:08 from Odawara to Kyoto. Because of a mess up on my part, we lost our reserved seats for the 10:08 and there were no new reserved seats together. However, we had no problem getting two non-reserved seats together.

I don't know when you are traveling or how busy it is. I think from what I remember JR Central/JR West which controls most of the shinkansen tracks you will use, do not allow booking seats from abroad, but until I messed things up, I had two seats together for the 10:08 and I booked them about 3 nights before my travel (which was also when I turned in my voucher for my pass.)

I am also pretty sure you can't book seats more than a month out.

I would wait until you get to Japan and turn in your vouchers be that at Narita or Shinjuku and then try to reserve seats.

I tend to just get a regular JR pass. Green car seats are a little wider and since fewer people book them tend to have more availability? But each time I couldn't get a reserved regular seat in June 2016 and June 2017 I had no problem getting 2 non-reserved seats together. (I was traveling with my child.) There are a few websites that do comparisons. I've only done green car once, and it didn't seem worth the extra money.

I like luxury, but I prefer to spend my money on a fancier hotel room over the green car. *shrugs*
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: can we Exchange JR rail Pass at Odawara 2017/10/18 05:00
Hi Rkold,
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! we will follow your advice otherwise we are LIMBO when we get in Japan! We are retiree we want the Luxury too! but we are not the typical of person throw out $$ thru the window! (LOL)
Thanks

reply to this thread