Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Central Japan 8 Days Itinerary Suggestions 2017/10/18 16:42
Hello, guys!

I'll be flying in Nagoya on the first week of December.
Here's a rough draft of my itinerary---

Dec 2
Arrival in Nagoya
Dec 3
Will briefly explore Nagoya before heading to Takayama
Spend the night in Takayama (or not)
Dec 4
Takayama to Shirakawa-go
Check out and head to Shin-Hotake Ropeway?
Dec 5
Head to Nagano City (as base)
Explore nearby towns around Nagano
(Chino City, Lake Suwa)
Dec 6
Still in Nagano exploring nearby towns
Go ski-ing somewhere north
Dec 7
Head to Matsumoto
Explore Matsumoto
December 8
Explore Matsumoto or go to Fuji Lake or anywhere near mount Fuji
Maybe Kiso Valley/Nagasendo trail
December 9
I don't know yet.
December 10
Fly out from Nagoya.

Like I said, this is only a rough draft of 9-day itinerary. I would love to hear your comments, suggestions, and what not. Especially when it comes to transport. I have stumbled upon bus and train passes that cover the areas I have mentioned above but I couldn't decide on which to book.
Also, if you have a different approach/itinerary to cover the abovementioned areas, I would as well love to consider it.

I haven't mentioned places like Kamikochi, Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route, Big Cedar trees area, etc because they are going to be closed during my abovementioned travel dates (December 2-10). :(

anyway, I would love to hear from you guys.

Cheers!

by tibsol  

Re: Central Japan 8 Days Itinerary Suggestions 2017/10/19 15:03
Hi! I havent been to some of the places on your list but what I would comment is :

1. I'd definitely stay at Takayama. It is a nice town, good beef, and the park is fun for a hike. Have a look at Hotel Associa as an onsen resort for the night. They have baths on the balconys overlooking the valley;
2. I'd go on from Shirakawa to Kanazawa and check out Kenrokuen. It is nice even in winter, though I found Kanazawa to be very rainy in late December and it has the reputation for being rainy;
3. I wouldnt bother too much with exploring Matsumoto other than the castle. Aside from the Castle there isnt a lot to see though there are some great restaurants there. We usually stay at Buena Vista, and the food from the restaurant at the top is spectacular;
4. if that then frees up a day or two, consider Bessho Onsen for a night (great little onsen town with some nice temples) and Karuizawa (fun town with a section of the Nakasendo Way in a trail that was pretty nice, I thought. Also recommend Tsuruya Ryokan as a brilliant place to stay there).
5. If you are still looking, Hikone is a nice little town with a great castle though that is closer to Kyoto.

Have fun!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread