Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/22 00:06
Hi,
I have some options of where to leave internationally from Japan. Last time I used Kansai airport but the queues through immigration and security, plus the people mover to the gates made it a rush toward the gate when leaving.

It was fine when entering Japan though but leaving was terrible. Maybe just bad luck.

Anyway.
Which of Nagoya, Kansai, Narita and Fukuoka international airport would you say are best coming to queues, immigration, etc, when leaving?

I try to arrive early at the airport but I dont think the check in opened until 8 AM, so I did not get rid of my bag soon enough to eat breakfast and get something for the flight.

Not sure when would be a good time to arrive at the airport. I heard 4 hours before dept but maybe too much??

by Mirou (guest)  

Re: Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/22 10:28
You must have had really bad luck that day.
And yes 4 hours are WAY too early. 2h is more than sufficient. 1,5 h is doable as well, but with your previous experience I would opt for 2 h.

I personally only know Fukuoka and Narita from your list (there is Haneda too) and none ever gave me problems. At Narita I even managed to catch my international flight arriving at 8:00 by train (I had some traindelay issues), check in, buy international insurance, go through security, buy some snacks and catch my 9:00 flight to Incheon. I wouldn't want to repeat this experience as it was stressful while in the train, but at the airport it was smooth.

This I would select your departure airport based on your itinerary and/or costs.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/22 16:19
I would probably just like up your departure airport with wherever you'll be on your last day. No good going to Nagoya if you final day is in Fukuoka for example.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/22 17:40
I believe smaller one is simpler than a larger one. Consider the smallest airport that you have used. I could nominate one, one flight per a few hours or so. Not busy at all.

Fukuoka is an airport for the 5 million Greater Fukuoka, Nagoya for 10 million, Kansai for 20 million, and Narita for 40 million. Although, Tokyo has Haneda and Osaka has Itami. Fukuoka Airport is very close to JR Hakata.

I would think of 3 hours for an international flight leaving from Narita. 2 hours is a bit too short for me.

Anyway, I would select a set of airports by fares, timetables, and destinations, not by a comfort.
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/22 22:06
I've used Chubu/Centrair for domestic and international flights and was quite pleased with it. I've heard good things about Fukuoka from a friend who lives there and uses it often. I've used KIX and Narita a lot, but I'm not overly fond of either, they just get more International flights from my country.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/23 06:38
I've not tried Nagoya but I've been through the others.

Narita takes ages to get to unless you are staying in Narita town which is quite nice for an overnight stay. If you are leaving from terminal 3 there is a big walk to get there from terminal 2 that adds maybe a half hour to the exercise. Terminal 3 is dreadfully boring too. The time to get through has been pretty quick in my experience.

Fukuoka isnt far out of town so it doesnt take long to get there from Hakata station though it is a bit odd because you take a train to one terminal then a bus to another and we were a little confused by it all. There arent a lot of shops etc and mainly it seems to cater for Chinese buying cheap cigarettes. It was quick getting through for us.

Kansai is my favorite. Quite a few shops, quick-ish to get through, not too long to get there from Kyoto or Namba.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagoya vs Kansai vs Narita vs Fukuoka 2017/10/24 16:34
I read some reviews on Fukuoka that it could be very congested for departures with long queues. Since there were only a few saying so (havn't read it all) they might have had bad luck, not sure. Anyone had any experience with that?

Even if the airport is close, I would probably leave early anyway, just for sure. Would be a hassle if missing my flight because of queues or so. But I don't think the check in opens until 8 anyway.
by Mirou (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread