Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chubu in early mid May? 2017/10/23 07:11
Hi
On a 2 week visit to Osaka and wanted to visit Takayama, Shirakawa go, etc. Saw Takayama is not far from the Central alps. Is there anything to see there in early or mid May?

Or is it just snow all over? Noticed there is a snow corridor in the Norikura region. Is it worth to go to the top or just cold and snow?
by Momond (guest)  

Re: Chubu in early mid May? 2017/10/23 12:59
Hi. Takayama is nice any time of year. It has great beef, good dairy desserts, a nice old part of the town and some other decent sites. It would be extraordinary if it had any snow in May, it is usually quite warm there getting to hot by late May. You might see some snow on the peaks if you went from Takayama to Kamikouchi in May.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chubu in early mid May? 2017/10/23 14:23
You might also consider adding a night in Okuhida (e.g. Hirayu onsen). If you like onsen, and specially rotenburo that's where you want to go.
If you don't know what a rotenburo is, then that's one of the best experiences in Japan and you should try.
I just stayed at the Hirayu no mori (see on this webpage or in my blog: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/search/label/Accommodation+Pract...
I utterly enjoyed it notwithstanding the typhoon.

The ride on the Hida express train from
Nagoya (or Toyama) supposedly is also very nice.

And if you have more time you can spend a day or two in Kanazawa.

Out of the Gassho villages, the one I found most enjoyable was Ainokura, but it is also the most difficult to reach (without a car)

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Chubu in early mid May? 2017/10/25 06:04
Wow thats an interesting blog you have. Got some inspiration there :)

But isnt hirayu onsen cold in May? As I look at photos from the area seemsmuch snow even in summer.

Still curious about the snow corridor up to mt Norikura. But is there anything else to see than snow?:)

I dont mind snow but I want to pack light not bringing too much bulky clothing...
by Momond (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread