Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama - Shirakawago - Gokayama (in 2 days) 2017/10/24 17:39
Dear friends,

I am planning a trip with my wife to Japan from 26 December 2017 to 3 January 2018.

My initial plan would be:

26 - 27 - 28 Tokyo and Disney Resorts and Hakone
29 - 30 - 31 Takayama, Shirakawago
1 - 2 - 3 Back to Tokyo

My Plan in Takayama is:

29 Tokyo - Takayama (arrive late afternoon and stay in Takayama)
30 Takayama Old City and Shinohtaka Ropeway/Hida Folk Museum (maybe staying the night in Shirakawa-go after this)
31 Shirakawa-go and Sugenuma / Gokayama in the morning, and take afternoon train back to Tokyo.

What I wanna ask:

1. Is it a good choice of dates?
2. Is it worth the trip to visit Hida Folk Museum and Shinohtaka Ropeway on 30th December?
3. Should I do 2-night stay in Takayama and make a return trip to Shirakawa-go? VS 1-night Takayama and 1-night Shirakawa-go?
4. My points of interest are Takayama Old City, Shinohtaka Ropeway, Hida Folk Museum, Shirakawa-go, Gokayama. Do you think I can cover all in a leisurely pace in 3 days and 2 nights?

Thanks so much!!!
by Oddie Randa (guest)  

Re: Takayama - Shirakawago - Gokayama (in 2 days) 2017/10/25 05:07
It probably will be busy for these times. Especially Shirakawa-go Overnight stays. You should check and see if there is anymore space.

1) Yeah, the dates are pretty good. Should be a little bit busier.
2) Hida Folk Museum would be similar to viewing the Farm Houses in Shirakawa-go.
Shinotaka Ropeway - Have not been but would really be up to you.
3) I recommend 2 nights in Takayama so you don't have to move your luggage unless you want to experience Farm House overnight stay. Check and see if there is space left, also it will probably be cold at night at Farm House.
4) If you take out the Ropeway, it should be medium pace.

Takayama could be afternoon and morning markets next day
Shirakawa-go can be a half day trip if just visiting
Gokayama also can be a half day trip but if you are going to Shirakawa-go for the farm houses, then probably don't need to go here.
Ropeway sounds like it could be half a day to full day trip.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Shirakawago - Gokayama (in 2 days) 2017/10/28 09:45
This is good, thanks for the info!

I guess the farmhouse stay will be quite cold at night given the traditional way they're sleeping, never thought of this before.
by Oddie R (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread