Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail Pass travel - leaving pass area boundary 2017/10/24 20:54
Hey folks. I'm visiting Kansai in some time. I am considering several JR West area passes. I would like to know if it's possible to travel on a single train whilst combining a ticket for one end of the journey and a JR West pass to cover the other end of the journey - without having to, for example, disembark at the boundary station of the area pass? Or without switching trains? Is the ticket control system flexible enough for that?

Example 1: Visit Kanazawa from Osaka, have a Hiroshima Area pass (on which the most easternly station is Tsuruga) as well as a regular ticket from Tsuruga to Kanazawa?

Or, as it would be a better deal money-wise:

Example 2: combining rail passes: having both the Hokuriku Area pass and Hiroshima Area pass to travel from Osaka to Kanazawa?
by castironkettle  

Re: Rail Pass travel - leaving pass area boundary 2017/10/25 14:31
You can just pay the extra the pass does not cover when you purchase a ticket.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass travel - leaving pass area boundary 2017/10/25 14:50
As long as you have a valid ticket (in a broad sense, including passes, etc.) at every point of your trip, you are fine.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass travel - leaving pass area boundary 2017/10/25 15:24
I think you are from Europe (Finland, bingo!) where the ticket system is totally different from that of Japan. In Japan there is a ticket gate where you are inspected whether you have a ticket valid for that station. On the contrary, in Europe the inspection is done on the train, and if you donft have the valid ticket you must pay the fine. In Japan once you go through the gate you can get on the train and if you donft have the valid ticket for that train, you can pay for the fare for the section you are not allowed to take, with no fine. This can be done on the train to the conductor or at the destination (ask the station staff how to pay). In general you might better pay on the train since the fare you must pay is clearer than at the station where it is difficult for you to show where are you from. This is called Norikoshi which is quite normal in Japan.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Rail Pass travel - leaving pass area boundary 2017/10/28 06:36
Thank you for your help everyone. I queried JR West and they confirmed your information when it comes to combining different area passes (my 2nd example works just OK according to them).
by castironkettle rate this post as useful

reply to this thread