Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cost of sperm storage? 2017/10/30 15:22
Considering getting the snip.

Is there such thing as sperm storage in Japan? This would be for personal use if I want to have children in the future, not for donation. If so, around how much does it cost?
by t (guest)  

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/10/31 08:52
Depends on the clinic, best is to contact clinics and ask
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/9 12:09
What Japanese word would I Google in order to find such a clinic?

Or does anyone know of one in around Tokyo / Shinjuku?
by t (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/9 12:29
I do not know the name but often ladies clinic for couples who would like to have a baby.
My advise is just to go to a ladies clinic (ƒŒƒfƒB[ƒXƒNƒŠƒjƒbƒN) and ask
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/9 12:30

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/9 17:39
I don't live in Japan, but I am a doctor. So here is my advice to you as a professional.

In any region in the world, vasectomy (the snip as you call it) is considered a type of irreversible sterilisation (even though it can be surgically reversed despite the cost and the technical difficulty).

Vasectomy is generally inexpensive, but its reversal is expensive, and so is sperm storage and IVF (if you decide to use your stored sperm in the future). Usually, vasectomy is not be performed unless the couple involved are 100% certain that they don't want any more children.

If you are considering sperm storage then this means that you are not 100% sure and is hesitant to have it, therefore your request for it maybe denied by the doctor you consult.

Sperm storage for future personal use is usually offered for men with testicular cancer before they commence treatment and for couples undergoing IVF treatment for inability to conceive naturally. Personally, I haven't met a patient requesting "the snip" and wanting to store his sperm. And if I meet such a patient, I will decline his request until he fully understands what the snip is actually used for i.e. no future children full stop.

So my advice to you is to go for it when you are 100% sure that you and your partner don't want to have any more children. There are other long term contraceptive modalities which you and your partner can discuss with a family doctor.
by dr x (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/10 07:16
I think what you are saying is something you should not do as a professional point of view. First of all EVERYONE can say he or she is a doctor.

The OP is asking where to go and I believe that when the OP visit a clinic in Japan they can make the judgment how to proceed or not. In this case visiting a clinic and asking advice is just a normal way to proceed to see the possibilities.

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/10 10:50
@justmyday
with all due respect, your opinion is yours indeed, and you have the right to doubt my profession, but that does not change who I am and the fact that I am really a doctor. Whether you believe that or not, it doesn't matter to me.

I gave the advice out of my good will, if you and the OP don't like my straightforward honesty, then that's ok too. I gave my advice based on my knowledge and experience, but you are free to take it or leave it.

It's true that in the medical field, you may come across dodgy professionals who might be more interested in your money than in your health and wellbeing, but it is our ethical code of practice to provide honest advice (even if it may sound harsh) and act in the best interest of the patient.

Having the technological ability to play God in this day and age does not mean that everything should be ok just because we can do it. I understand that the OP wants to seek advice about sperm storage after the snip, but it seems that he has no clear understanding of why vasectomy is done in the first place.

I wanted to clarify to him the real purpose of the snip, and the fact that ethically it wouldn't be done if the patient and his partner are not 100% certain about it. Wanting to store sperm for future use clearly negates the purpose of vasectomy. I would be curious to see which surgeon would be willing to do it given this.

Nonetheless, by all means the OP can go and seek medical advice as he pleases and proceed according to what agrees with him and with his circumstances.

Hope you have a good day justmyday

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/10 16:32
@justmyday
I think you can read Japanese.
if you google some appropriate websites in Japanese, you can very easily find out the guideline of sperm storage in Japan. all explain that they request the reason of medical necessity and/or the agreement of the married couple. personal (non-medical) reason by a single person is not accepted.
also, it is very easy to know storage cost, if you can read Japanese.
at that time, since I am very suspicious about OP's reason, I did not show the cost and websites.

the post by dr x is 100% correct.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/10 17:14
Thank you Mr Ken

Re: Cost of sperm storage? 2017/11/14 18:25
"personal (non-medical) reason by a single person is not accepted."

If a person suffers Gender Identity Disorder and wants to undergo hormone therapy (which causes sterilization). Would this be considered an unacceptable personal reason?
by red (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread