Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/2 02:31
Hi there!

I am organizing a trip to Japan with my family in december, that includes a flight to/from Narita and one flight from Haneda airport.
One of these flights departs on 12/31 from Narita to Hawaii, so an eventual closure of the airport or flight cancelation due to weather would ruin NYE.
Is it common to have airport closures and flight cancelations in december due to weather?
Thank you!
by Sergio (guest)  

Re: Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/2 12:21
For snow?? That would be pretty rare, and when it does happen, you would have bigger problems - like even getting to the airport in the first place.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/narita-airport-stocks-up-on-s...
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/2 15:20
Narita internation flights are normally operated on schedule include poor weather conditions.
Some delay can be expected but all are normally on schedule.
Domestic flights are possibly canceled at Narita during poor weather conditions.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/2 20:25
With extreme bad weather conditions, you probably get flight cancelation, but rarely airport closure. From my understanding it doesn't snow much in tokyo, even if it does it doesn't last long.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/4 03:04
I would say if there are snow storms in Tokyo during that time, it is more likely to be flight delays going to Japan or out. Usually international flights would still go even if delay by a lot. Domestic flights would probably have a higher chance of cancellations due to how each plane has multiple routes a day.

You could always fly in a day or two earlier before NYE if you haven't book a ticket yet.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/7 10:39
Thank you, guys!
by Sergio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo airport closures due to snow 2017/11/7 10:49
It's not about Narita alone, but I've experienced much more delays, including an overnight delay from Narita, due to mechanical problems than weather problems. And that's quite unavoidable as long as you're flying.

But for this reason, I try not to book flights right before important events or important transfers. Especially when I'm on a holiday, I prefer to enjoy flexibility.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread