Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kusatsu or other option in winter 2017/11/2 14:36
Hi all. I'm traveling to Japan for a week in January. I'll spend 4 nights in Tokyo and then I have 3 nights to go elsewhere. I'm wanting to go to an onsen town in a snowy region that is relatively easy to get to and close to Tokyo - I really don't want to spend ages traveling.

I had settled on Kusatsu but I'm just seeing if there's any other ideas I could go with. I have been to Kusatsu once before, but it was only an overnight stay and it was in spring, so I figure it will have a whole different vibe. It left a strong impression on me the first time around, hence why I was leaning that way to begin with. The main things I want to get out of the trip is using the baths, taking in the onsen/Japanese vibe, enjoying the snow/scenery and eating good food!

Any thoughts? Cheers!
by Orion au  

Re: Kusatsu or other option in winter 2017/11/2 20:47
Why not think about somewhere on/close to the Joetsu shinkansen? Short travel times, and mountainous, and good sake.....
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu or other option in winter 2017/11/2 22:10

How about this one, you'd love the experience, especially winter time:
https://www.manza.co.jp/
by Shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu or other option in winter 2017/11/3 09:52
Thanks for the replies.

Both of those ideas seem like interesting options, definitely. I did stumble across Ikaho and was considering that, it seems to be close to the Joetsu shinkansen. Manza looks amazing in winter too!

Does anybody know what the roads are like in that area in January? Would hiring a car and doing short little day trips around be a viable option? Again, I've been in that area and have an idea of what the roads are like but at another time of the year and I have no winter driving experience.
by Orion au rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu or other option in winter 2017/11/3 11:14

By the way, Manza onsen provides free return shuttle bus from Shinjuku for staying guest.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread