Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it worth going to Kiyomizudera at 7am? 2017/11/7 14:06
Hi all!

My current itinerary for a day in Kyoto (South Higashiyama) is as follows:

Fushimi Inari - Nishiki Market (from 10am) - walk through Gion - Maruyama Park - Sannenzaka/Ninnenzaka - Kiyomizudera - Kodaiji (night illumination)

This day will be a Saturday in late November. As such, I'm a little worried that Kiyomizudera is going to be super crowded. Kodaiji I'm not so worried about as I've heard it gets less traffic.

That said, should I do Kiyomizudera in the morning (around 7am) and do Fushimi Inari later at night? Will I be able to avoid the crowds? I've heard school groups turn up at 8am, but is this true even on weekends? The only trade-off I can see is that the shops on Ninnezaka/Sannenzaka will be closed.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this dilemma!
by yokobo (guest)  

Re: Is it worth going to Kiyomizudera at 7am? 2017/11/7 16:33
I don't see a problem with visiting that early but crowds are part of it for me. Bear in mind that the main hall is being renovated and is covered up at the moment, see the picture on this page. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3901.html
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Is it worth going to Kiyomizudera at 7am? 2017/11/8 04:42
The crowding has been getting much worse in recent years but 7AM - 9AM should be fine. You might miss the shops, but ultimately you cant see in them for the crowds anyway so you arent missing anything. Late in the afternoon seems to settle down a bit as well.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread