Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/27 08:24
Hi everyone i been doing some research about going to japan and bring with me mexican treats.
My purpose for the visit is to learn more about japanese culture and exchange information about cutures. (I.e, tequila, tortillas, candy, and other treats.)
I made some research but i cannot get any specific answers if its okay or not? Or if there will be any extra charges?

Anyways i am so exited to go next week and stay there and visit my friends!

Thank you everyone! :)
by Nestor88  

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/27 17:13
A quick Google is all that is needed to find which products are restricted by Japanese Customs. Make sure you search for Customs requirements. Often the Japanese embassy in your country will have a website that has this information.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/27 17:51
Hi guys,

Actually, a quick Google search nor the Japanese version of the website of the Japanese Embassy in Mexico didn't work for me, and I'm supposed to be good at Googling. Since the OP claims to have tried researching, maybe (s)he can use some extra tips such as what keywords you should be using. At least it took me quite a while to get to the following link.
http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/product/import.html

I did find the following link faster, except that it doesn't mention meat.
http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/passenger.htm

Either way, if memory serves me right, tortillas are not a problem and neither is tequila as long as the amounts are small.

For your reference, flour tortillas that are about 15 centimeters in diameter are commonly sold here in Japan, both soft ones and hard ones. So is Sauza tequila. Tex-Mex (American style Mexican food) is quite common here. So I think it will be interesting if you can bring along other versions, especially something more authentically Mexican.

I hope you have fun in Japan, and I hope someone can guide you to a better link. Custom and security regulations are so complicated nowadays that it's often best to just phone your airline and ask.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/27 17:56
I hope it was needless to say that you can't bring tequila by hand luggage through your own airport's security gate. Airports don't let you bring liquids past security. You have to put them in your checked luggage, although it's possible to buy liquid at Duty Free shops past security.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/28 18:26
tortillas (No meat) no problem

tequila only with check in laguage, 3 A bottles max. Containing approximately 760cc
http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/passenger.htm
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/28 19:15
Hello guys i really appreciate your help UCO, GUEST, JUSTMYDAY! I thank u all for ur great help and yes i am taking traditional goods to japan because i want my friends to try them and yes i will be sending questions often since i will stay for 2 months 😢 which i wish i could stay longer like a year or more 😊
by Nestor88 rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/29 01:18
Regarding tequila, there's no limit to the number of bottles you can bring into Japan. The first three bottles you bring are duty-free, and after that you have to pay a small amount of tax per bottle, a very small percentage of the cost of the liquor itself.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/29 10:28
Wow thank u very much unami!!! Its a great help! And japan is so cool ^^ its always cool 😎

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/11/29 11:10
Wow thank u very much unami!!! Its a great help! And japan is so cool ^^ its always cool 😎

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/12/9 21:11
Hello guys i really appreciate your help UCO, GUEST, JUSTMYDAY! I thank u all for ur great help and yes i am taking traditional goods to japan because i want my friends to try them and yes i will be sending questions often since i will stay for 2 months 😢 which i wish i could stay longer like a year or more 😊

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/12/11 21:40
My suggestion for tortillas is to bring masa and make them here when you need them, assuming you are talking about corn tortillas. I always bring at least 5lbs of masa with me every time I go to the US. You also might want to bring some other things like dried chilies, spices like mexican oregano and cans of chipolte peppers, if you have the space. These things are hard or very expensive to buy in Japan.
by El Gordo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can i bring mexican tortillas and tequila? 2017/12/13 01:03
Yes i know! I went to aeon mall after i got from usa and see also grocery stores but damn bro rverything is freaking expensive! But thanks i wont call u el Gordo... lol
Ill call u "El Panson!" Ahahhaa 😂
Thanks bro peace!

reply to this thread