Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Places to visit during winter 2017/12/5 17:29
Hi, Its my first time to visit Japan and my husband has visited Tokyo, Osaka & Kyoto. We will be there in last week of Jan to first week of Feb (25th Jan to 4th Feb). I have no idea where we should go? i am not into skiing . so i am not sure if i should visit Hokkaido. Is there any other recommended places to visit during winter? We will land in Tokyo first.
by soniadecoco  

Re: Places to visit during winter 2017/12/5 18:45

Sapporo Yuki Matsuri would be a good choice:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5311.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Places to visit during winter 2017/12/5 19:23
The Sapporo Yuki Matsuri will begin one day after OP leaves, unfortunately.

OP, take a look around this website, or even Google "Japan in winter" for ideas. I'm concerned by the fact that you have booked a trip without actually knowing where you want to go. You also haven't provided us with any details such as budget, travel preferences, likes/dislikes, etc. This forum is not a travel agency, and you will get far more out of the trip if you do your own research and planning and use this forum for specific questions or itinerary checking. There are lots of resources out there - happy planning!
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Places to visit during winter 2017/12/5 23:28
In the period you are visit Japan , a lot of places have snow and they offer great snow views. You need not necessarily go to Hokkaido for nice winter places . First , the transport to there from Tokyo is bad when you have no public transportation. You can visit nearby places such as Niigata or Nagano. Not that I don't recommend Hokkaido,but it is a good option if you are using public transportation.As of Hokkaido recommendations, I would say probably Otaru Canal or Mt Moiwa or something. Because you are going back to Tokyo, don't make the place you are visiting in Hokkaido too far from Hakodate like Wakkanai or something . But if you really want to visit those far-flung places , you can consider taking a domestic flight.
by Xavier Tong rate this post as useful

Re: Places to visit during winter 2017/12/9 23:42
Thank you Xavier. That was very helpful.
I did not just buy a ticket or think of this forum as a travel agency. My husband will be there in Tokyo for a course and he has suggested that we could take this chance to visit Japan together. I have never been to Japan and therefore i was feeling clueless if i should visit Hokkaido as all the reviews i saw was all about skiing. Now we have come to a conclusion that we shall give Hokkaido a miss this time around and travel as per your suggestion. Thank you once again.
by soniadecoco rate this post as useful

Re: Places to visit during winter 2017/12/10 11:51
If you are interested in Japanese spa, how about Kusatsu Onsen in Gunma Prefecture, northern Kaneto region?
You can go there for about 4 hours from Shinjuku by bus, direct communication.
There are a lot of hotels.
Additionally I recommend Ikaho Onsen, itfs on the way to Kusatsu. (The bus stops at Ikaho Onsen.) Actually I prefer Ikaho to Kusatsu. ;p
I hope this helps!
by Sachie Skyberry (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread