Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tohoku University or Kyushu University? 2017/12/6 16:29
I plan to do my masters in aerospace engineering and the mentioned two universities provide the course in English language.
But I dont know which university is better (in terms of teaching, facility, global fame, etc) as both seem promising enough.
Which University should i go for?
(Additional advice in this matter will be appreciated)

(Mechanical engineer from India)
by arpit1815  

Re: Tohoku University or Kyushu University? 2017/12/7 15:05
http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/japan

They rank similar Japanese wise.

I looked into Kyushu Uni a while back. No real feedback I can give on the parameters you are looking for.

I would though add another parameter into your equation. Surrounding area/s. Cos you'll be at uni for a long time. Which surrounding area interests you more? Sendai/Tohoku or Fukuoka/Kyushu?
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tohoku University or Kyushu University? 2017/12/7 15:28
Thank you. I would prefer a place which is not very expensive and where chances of vegetarian food is good. (I guess in japan that would be tough.. but relatively)
by arpit1815 rate this post as useful

Re: Tohoku University or Kyushu University? 2017/12/7 22:52
https://www.happycow.net/asia/japan/

I've been to the Tokyo branch of T's TanTan Ramen and it was delicious, filling and quite cheap. I went to Sendai long before it had opened. I've not lived in either Fukuoka or Sendai but both seemed very friendly when I visited them pre-2010.

Sendai can probably be awful cold in the Winter and from what I remember from visiting JET friends many apartments/homes have awful insulation. But to make up for being cold, if you're interested in skiing there are probably lots of opportunities. Fukuoka I hear can be very hot in the Summer. I have a friend who lives there now and loves it. Renting a car or taking a bus can get you to a lot of amazing looking onsen.

Good luck, I think both locations sound great. :)
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Tohoku University or Kyushu University? 2017/12/8 09:08
I used to live in Sendai and work at Tohoku University. Different department though.
Sendai is really nice in summer - warm, but not too hot. Winter is cold, and you will get snow. An hour or so to Yamagata for good onsens or skiing.

Never lived in Fukuoka. Summer will be hotter, but winter will be a bit more pleasant too (unless you like the cold).

Tohoku is higher ranked globally, and their engineering department is one of the strongest in the world. Kyushu is also an excellent university, and also strong for engineering. Either would be a good school.

Master degrees in Japan are typically by research. So, my advice would be to look at the faculty pages at both departments, and explore the major research themes at each. Think about which professors you might like to work with. I think at graduate level you need to think about the supervisor more, and the university less.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

reply to this thread