Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Money Talk - International Student 2017/12/9 16:53
Hi
How much money should I bring to Japan intially? Is \200,000 okay?
Ifm an international student coming to Japan in March/April 2018. Ifm not sure how much I should bring. My parents would be sending me money from abroad regularly, once a month or once every two months.
But how much should I bring to settle in?
Rent aside. This is only about my living expenses.
Thanks!
by WanderLust97  

Re: Money Talk - International Student 2017/12/9 17:59
For how many days / weeks / months? Any number only makes sense if you get the full unit. Also the city we are talking about might help.

When you say "rent aside" do you mean that rent and all associated costs of rent are already paid? In Japan if you rent an apartment you need to pay a lot of upfronts, e.g. deposit, "thank you money"...

Enjoy your life in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Money Talk - International Student 2017/12/11 04:58
All associsted costs with rent in Japan.

Ifll be going to Nagoya!
by WanderLust97 rate this post as useful

Re: Money Talk - International Student 2017/12/11 05:25
So the 200,000 Yen are only for eating, transport, maybe a phone contract and little else, right? rent, school, flight is all paid, right?

Have a look where your accommodation is compared to your school and look up what the cost for transportation is. You might be entitled to a student discount. Your school can give you information on that. Likely transport is going to be your biggest cost point.

For eating, it obviously totally depends on what you are accustomed to, but you can easily grab lunch at below 1000 Yen and if you have dinner at home, give it an other 1000 Yen. You can do it cheaper or spend more.

A phone contract maybe costs something around 4000 Yen per month.

So depending on your transport and if you do some odd shopping, your 200,000 Yen can come a long way. But if you go out partying, or shopping a lot, or out for dinner / drinks, then 200,000 Yen can be up much quicker. Also if you do a lot of weekend trips. Transportation is rather costly and if you need to stay somewhere for a weekend trip, also accommodation is expensive. If you don't do any of that roughly 100,000 Yen should last you a month, but there are ways to make it last longer... or to spend it all in one week.

I guess a good indicator is how much money you use in your home country. You will possibly use in Japan a bit more, simply because you don't know immediately where the cheapest shops are and how to get bargains, while in your country, if you are living on a budget you know all this already. Also if in your country you are not living on a budget, then you are probably not used on being cost sensitive and will more easily indulge on some expenses in Japan (like going for drinks) that can increase your budget need. I am not saying it is bad to go out for drinks/shopping/party or anything like this, but from a budget perspective these things cost money.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Money Talk - International Student 2017/12/11 05:46
First of All,Welcome to japan.This nation is really polite and Friendly.I will give you rough idea on Tourist view point.But you stay on student visa.
My room cost=1852‰~ x30 Days=55560‰~
Hostel Ann=2-4-2 Kanayama, Naka-ku, Nagoya, Aichi-ken, 460-0022 Japan
My Food cost=1500‰~ x30 Days=45000‰~,unlimited Food and Drinks, per entry cost
Buffet Paradise OTTO ‰h“X Sakae Naka-ku Nagoya Aichiˆค’mŒง –ผŒร‰ฎŽs’†‹ๆ ‰h 3-9-5 –พฏƒrƒ‹ 3F
My travel cost=Unlimited subway and local Bus 1 Day=850‰~
My shopping cost=500‰~ x30 Days=15000‰~
From 100‰~ shop.
Hope this will help.
by rajon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread