Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR 7 Days Pass is Break Even with Train Cost 2017/12/13 15:38
Hi,

I will be travelling with return ticket to/from Narita. These will be my routes;

1. Tokyo to Kawaguchiko by Bus
2. Kawaguchiko to Hakone by Bus
3. Hakone to Odawara by Train
4. Odawara to Nagoya by Train
5. Nagoya to Takayama by Train
6. Takayama to Tokyo via Nagoya or Toyama by Train
+ Might activate JR Pass from Narita to Tokyo

I have calculted the fares via Hyperdia and few other JR calculator website and result shown close call. It is break even with the Y29.110 7 Days JR Pass. The total cost will be around Y28,000-Y34,000. I prefer to travel by train and fastest commute time.

I would like to get advise on this. Is there any work around that I miss or more cost effective?

Thank you!
by faza2018  

Re: JR 7 Days Pass is Break Even with Train Cost 2017/12/13 17:35
You could take long-distance buses instead of shinkansen, but they are longer and less comfortable.

Don't forget that the JR Pass also provides convenience - you don't have to book ahead, so can take the train whenever you find most convenient (within the JR Pass restrictions, of course). It also makes short-notice day trips easier, as you don't have to worry about an extra cost (e.g. if you find yourself with an afternoon to spare in Tokyo, you could head out to Kamakura at no extra transport cost).
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Days Pass is Break Even with Train Cost 2017/12/13 17:39
I'm only calculating 26,XXX yen

Odawara to Takayama 12,460
Takayama to Tokyo 14,410

That is using shinkansen and Wide View Hida ltd exp. Both create the most expensive options. there are cheaper options.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Days Pass is Break Even with Train Cost 2017/12/13 20:28
So those are on consecutive days, I assume?
If you want to maximize your JR rides, you could, for the first few days:

(Day 0 I assume) Narita to Tokyo by Narita Express
1. Tokyo - Shinjuku - Otsuki by JR train, then change to Fujikyu Rail to get to Kawaguchiko (You need to pay extra for the last Fujikyu part.)
2, 3. (No JR option available). The rest up to day 6 can be covered by JR.

Note that JR Pass is only valid "Japan Rail" trains, and that the pass is valid (the nationwide JR Pass, such as the 7-day version) on consecutive days.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Days Pass is Break Even with Train Cost 2017/12/14 01:25
There is one disadvantage with the JR pass, that you are not allowed to take Nozomi Shinkansen. And most Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka are Nozomi. So you have less flexibility (and a bit more riding time) with the JR pass.
But as other posters said, there is also the convenience of the pass.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: JR 7 Days Pass is Break Even with Train Cost 2017/12/14 09:05
Not 100% sure, but you could do a Odawara-Nagoya-Takayama-Toyama-Tokyo ticket for Y23,000 using the HidaWide-view.
Also, for #6 there is the option Takayama-Matsumoto (by bus) then Matsumoto-Tokyo by train.
For your Narita-Tokyo legs, you could cover either one with a JR pass, or get the 4000yen return trip ticket.

As you note in your post, your preference is train and for faster transit, so get the pass, it is probably a good option for you.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread