Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/14 06:49
Dear all,

my wife and I do a 8 day trip to Japan (focusing on Kyoto and Tokyo only) and happen to stay 3 nights in Tokyo (unfortunately it is the second half of Golden Week but there was no alternative). Where would you recommend to stay? Apart from a bit of the classic sightseeing we are foodies and very interested in Japanese food of all sorts.
Which part of Tokyo would you recommend for staying for the nights?

Thanks, Peter
by ImmerSake  

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/14 15:27
Generally anywhere on the Yamanote line is convenient. Which areas do you intend on visiting?
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/14 19:57
That is probably a good idea to stay close to the train line. Actually we want to rather catch the spirit of Tokyo life than tick-mark all usually sightseeing spots. Nevertheless we would like to go to Tsukiji fish market although I am not sure whether they are opened on May 3rd (all other days are closed and my Japanese is not well enough to figure out whether the 3rd is open).
But apart from Tsukiji, maybe staying in Shibuya is not the worst idea?
by ImmerSake rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/14 23:42
Shibuya is good for sure.

Tokyo actually has so many different spirits (districts), that you can choose which one is the one for you. Our first Tokyo stay was in Akihabara, and it definitely is something special...
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/15 10:47
If you're foodies then there's a lot of good restaurants in the area between Ginza & Shimbashi stations. This area is close to Tsukiji as well. You might not have to stay there, somewhere that has good transport access to the area would be fine.

If, as your user name suggests, you're into sake, there's a great aged sake bar in Shinagawa called Shusaron.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/15 11:38
In terms of food, maybe we can all recommend areas to visit. Besides Tsukiji (which is a must for all sushi fans - get ootoro, tuna belly. It's amazing), other places I'd suggest are Omoide yokocho in Shinjuku and for something lesser known check out Monjayaki in Tsukishima. If you go to Yokohama you should visit the ramen museum http://www.raumen.co.jp/english/
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/15 13:57
If you can stand a bit of inconvenience I'd spend a night at the Tokyo Station Hotel. The food there is very good, the breakfast is simply spectacular.

Then I'd actually get out of Tokyo and stay at a ryokan for kaiseke. Great places that we have stayed at which are close to Tokyo include Tsuruya Ryokan at Karuizawa (about 40 minutes from Tokyo by Shinkansen) which caters really well to first time ryokan guests, and they have great food too, or if you like fish, Iwamotoro Honkan at Enoshima which isnt far from Tokyo. That is a brilliant hotel style ryokan on a little island connected to Kamakura by bridge, just an awesome place to go.

But otherwise I agree that Shibuya is a good location if you like buildings and shopping. We usually stay at the Dormy Inn there. Shinjuku isnt very appealing at all though the Hyatt has some great restaurants in it. I actually preferred the Shiba Park area of Tokyo which wasnt quite as commercial. Shiba Park hotel was pleasant enough when we went there some years ago.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to stay in Tokyo for 3 nights? 2017/12/22 19:56
Thank you all for your kind answers, very helpful!
by ImmerSake rate this post as useful

reply to this thread