Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/14 09:01
Good evening.
I booked a return overseas flight to and from Fukuoka airport, meaning I will arrive in the international airport terminal across the main terminal. There are free shuttle buses (every 15 minutes) to the main terminal (with subway into the city) and local buses to Hakata, Tenjin, etc. as well.

I came across some reviews however saying the staff and procedures as well as queues in Fukuoka international airport terminal is a disaster. As I understand they had to queue first to check their check in bags in an x-ray machine, before getting to check them i. Then a long queue for immigration and security check before arriving at the gates, where one reviewer had to run to the flight. Not sure how long before the flight he was at the airport really though.

The international airport area is of course smaller than the counterparts in Narita, Osaka, etc so it is understandable, but just want to hear out other people's opinions on the airport. Maybe these reviewers were just bad luck.

A friend went to and from Osaka airport last year and he was on a very close call to departure as the security queues as well as the people mover to the gate took a lot of time. I only have experienced Narita before so I have not much else to compare with...

I chose Fukuoka as I had direct flights and it is closer to my intended destinations than Osaka and Narita. And it is close to city as well.

Should I be worried?

by Iya (guest)  

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/14 17:47
Depends on time zone, basically numbers of flight are not so many per hour.

This is today's arr.
http://pcfs.fuk-ab.co.jp/en/flight/index.php?type=IA
by Nibir (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/14 20:53
Sorry I dont understand how the departure schedule would help... :/
by Iya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/14 21:00
If there are many departures in a certain time period, everything slows down. It is true you have to have your baggage scanned before you check them in. That's very common in Japan, where many airports cannot afford giant scanners and therefore use portable ones. If you arrive at the airport with sufficient time, you shouldn't have any major problems. But it does help to know what you're up against when it comes to departures. If everyone shows up at the same time, there will be lines. It's always best to show up early and avoid the stress.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/14 21:25
I have used Fukuoka International Airport twice and on both occasions, have not encountered the problems you have described.
by Green Tea Latte rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 00:10
My flight departs at 10 AM sharp. Read that checkin opens 2 hours prior to departure. When I went from Narita I think the check in opened at 8 AM and the flight leaving... 11:ish.

I think I arrived near check in about 7-7:30. First in queue so it went smooth. Free of my bag I could eat a late breakfast before heading through security and to the gate.

The first bus from Hakata to the intl terminal arrives at 6:58 apparently. Not sure about the shuttle bus but I would rather go by bus rather than transfer. Not sure about how packed the transfer bus is, or how much food options om the terminal. ..

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 04:31
2 to 3 hours is usually enough time to go through the system for International flights. I recommend 3 hours all the time for international. As you might encounter problems, traffic delays, checking problems, security problems, immigration problems, etc.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 05:48
The OP stated "Read that checkin opens 2 hours prior to departure. " So be there 2 hours before. That will be definitely enough, as that is what your airline tells you to do. I guess you can be there even later, as Fukuoka is a small airport, but you seem to be anxious about the procedures, so be there at the 2 h.

In my experience security control in Japan is well organized, with people getting fast forwarded if they have a flight leaving soon. But soon means REALLY soon. So if you are there 2 hours in advance you wont be.

I was in Fukuoka airport domestic departure recently and yes, there were not a lot of food choices after the security check. But you will not die from hunger. Just have a look at this map of Fukuoka international airport. It has 4 plants and the forks indicate restaurants.

http://www.fuk-ab.co.jp/map_int_3f/

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 07:23
Fukuoka airport is lovely.
It's a cheap cab ride, or subway ride, from Hakata.
It's a smallish airport, so don't plan on gourmet eating or buying international luxury brands, but there's everything you need for everyday travel.
Don't worry
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 09:53
Not really after gourmet meny really :)

But if they have something for breakfast would be nice, as I usually eat at the airport as I cannot eat so early when I get up to reach the early train. Of course I can do with a simple noodle soup but would be great to end the trip with something like a japanese breakfast or so.

I'll probably stay around Hakata station, so I suppose taxi wont be as expensive as going to Narita or something (30000 JPY?).

Maybe these reviews are a bit old as some say they are still construction works on the terminal so it was hard to find your way around.

The first bus leaving Hakata Bus terminal 6.30 arriving the airport at 6.44, the next arriving 7.00. And the first shuttle bus leaves at 6.00 (subway arrives at 5.55). I suppose I could manage getting some quick breakfast on the terminal before checking in (if security and check in takes unexpectedly long time, like gate arrival at 9 ish I guess no breakfast so... better before check in haha...)

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 10:09
Also, people tend to complain more than praise and therefore some reviews may be disgruntled passengers who want to vent. You may not read those by people who had a great experience but do not write a review.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 15:12
I recently took a cab from downtown Fukuoka (ie further away than Hakata) to the domestic terminal and it was short of 2000 Yen. So you a likely take a taxi at 7:45 from your hotel and all will be fine. No need to get up super early before your international flight.

I am not sure if you can find Japanese breakfast at the airport. Not only in Fukuoka. I actually wouldnft know any place where to have a Japanese breakfast. I guess that Japanese just eat a noodle soup or they go for some Starbucks like western alternative. But a breakfast as you can get in a Ryokan or Japanese hotel might be difficult.

Just have a nice Japanese dinner the night before ;-)
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/15 23:01
Haha, well, the most typical japanese breakfast I have had except for a minshuku is the free Toyoko Inn breakfast. Maybe I should hit with that and take a taxi to the AP.

I looked at Google Street View on the airport and it can be "clearly" determined there are x-ray machines to each of the entrances of the check in islands, as the area where the machine is have been blurred out.

Thanks for the idea. I noted on a previous photo I was leaving Ueno by 5.50 for a flight leaving 11.00. Quite early, Another picture is dated 8.50 when I am eating the rest of my "breakfast" on the sky terrace on Narita airport, but I ought to have checked in my baggage by then. Another time my flight left 12.00 I think, I saw a picture from Ueno dated 8.30, probably leaving by 9.00.

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/16 01:18
I've flown into Fukuoka Airport twice during this past year(Feb & Nov 2017) and there were pretty long queues to x-ray check-in luggage before proceeding to the airlines counters for the actual check-in as well as queues for security screening before proceeding to immigration as you have heard. However I don't think these queues will require you to rush to board your flights if you manage your time.
If you arrive at least 2 hours before your flight (the airport is only a 10 minutes subway ride from the city and give another half hour for the shuttle bus to the international terminal from the subway station which stops at the domestic terminal ) and immediately go through all that is necessary to enter the transit lounge you will have plenty of time to do any last minute-shopping inside the lounge including queuing to pay for your purchases as well as having a breakfast at perhaps the Starbucks or the combini inside.
by nww rate this post as useful

Re: Intl flight departures Fukuoka airport? 2017/12/16 04:33
Be calm.
It's cool.
The airport is VERY near to the city centre (check it on a map), and, yes, you might hAve to wait a little while for your luggage to be scanned, but just leave the normal time before your flight and all will be well.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread