Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

question about visiting of military base 2017/12/19 13:48
Hello! i am a foreign tourist, who is planning to visit a naval military base in Kure. Some websites say that there is a possibility to make such a visit, and i was just wondering if anyone knows whether guided tours to this base are still available , and how I can make a reservation outside of Japan. Are those tours conducted in English?

Thanks in advance
by Alex (guest)  

Re: question about visiting of military base 2017/12/19 18:21
I could be wrong. But I don't think there is a naval Base in Kure anymore. There are the old wartime museums and the ship building dock still though.

As for guided tours. You need to asked the specific base. Nowadays with heightened security due to terrorism etc. A lot of bases don't do tours etc anymore.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: question about visiting of military base 2017/12/19 19:53
Hi Alex,

This information is from 2013 and as others have mentioned, each base is different. As such, take this as a grain of salt....

When I visited a base for a math competition with a school in 2013, it took months of planning and each student and teacher had to provide a photocopy of their passport many weeks in advance. Some students on occasions could not attend due to their country of origin. We also needed to bring our passports on the day and sign in individually which took ages - even though this was planned and has run on the same day for over 2 decades.

As such, it may be possible but highly unprobable in being able to visit a base. Your best bet (which is probably not going to meet with your dates) is open days for bases for the local community. Ironically is was easier for a Japanese person to visit than all other countries than the US (as expected)....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: question about visiting of military base 2017/12/20 01:08
Thanks for your reply mate)
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: question about visiting of military base 2017/12/20 01:08
JMSDF Kure Naval Base, Kure District welcomes public visitors for JMSDF promotion purpose.
They are held on Sundays for attendance free tour without guidance.
You need to book in advance. Fill the form below with either EXCEL or PDF formats.
http://www.mod.go.jp/msdf/kure/info/facilities/img/kengaku_shinsei.xls
http://www.mod.go.jp/msdf/kure/info/facilities/img/kengaku_shinsei.pdf

Then send it to 0823-22-0709(domestic) or +81-823-22-0709 by FAX ONLY.

Battle Ship Tour will be held three times, 10:00-11:00(Reg 9:40-10:00), 13:00-14:00(Reg 12:40-13:00), 15:00-16:00(Reg 14:40-15:00).

former Under Ground Operation Room Tour(Closed as battleship tour opens), 10:30-11:30(Reg 10:30-11:00), 13:00-14:00(Reg 13:00-13:30).

Kure District Headquarters 1st Bldg Tour, 10:30-11:30(Reg 10:30-11:00), 13:00-14:00(Reg 13:00-13:30).

Jan 2018 schedule, Jan 7 and Jan 14 are both closed. Jan 24 reg begins between Jan 5 - Jan 15 2018.

You need to take your valid passport(photo attached), must register on time, you can take photos, you can talk to civilian staffs but can not ask political and defensive issues, can not wear sandals and high heels, can not park cars inside the base.

Kure Naval Base is not a tourist spot therefore you can not use toiletry service inside the base other than registration desk beside the training ship.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: question about visiting of military base 2017/12/20 01:12
Thanks a lot mate! Its reaaly helpful infiomation, i think i better contact some private guide in Hiroshima and ask him to make a reservation and be my interpreter out there!
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread