Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/20 17:50
I am planning a 2-week self-drive trip to Japan - Chubu Region coming January. Below is the draft itinerary. I hope to spend about 1-2 days at each location.

Nagoya -- Gifu (Shirakawago & Gokayama / Takayama) -- Nagano (Jigokudani Monkey Park / Shiby Onsen) -- Tokyo (City) -- Kiso Valley (Onsen) -- Nagoya

1. Am I being too ambitious to cover so many places?
2. January is winter month. Is it safe to drive to these locations?
3. I know I will spend many hours driving. Is there any places that we could stop & rest along the way?
4. Is it possible to squeeze in another destination in the Kansai region - eg., Kyoto?

Thanks.
by JHoliday  

Re: Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/20 18:53
Snow, snow and more snow. If you can drive on ice and snow. I'd say go for it.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/20 19:12
Thank you Hakata14.

What do you advice, is the itinerary possible if I go on public transport? What is the better transport mode since it winter, lower travel cost? I'm a lady so certainly cannot drive on snow and ice :)
by JHoliday rate this post as useful

Re: Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/20 19:19
Of course the itinerary is very doable with public transport. Even location you have listed has good public transport options. If you had click through this website on the locations you wish to travel to. you'll see the "how to access" sections and note the many public transport options available to use.

As for driving ability. I don't think gender should come into it. Either you have the ability and experience or not.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/21 01:41
If you've never driven on the snow, I can't recommend this itinerary at all. At least don't rely on tire chains. Use snow tires, and be sure you know who to contact to when your car breaks down. Still, it's not a good idea for a beginner to do such a long self-drive trip.

Try a shorter one, or do it after spring. Then it's doable. But if you're not used to rural roads in Japan, you should still take it easy. They're narrow and hilly and don't have sidewalks.

Also, Tokyo is not car-friendly, so once you're in Tokyo, leave the car at your hotel and use public transportation. I'm also wondering why you decided to go back to Kiso after Tokyo when you're already passing through/near it between Gifu and Nagano.

As for places to rest, the society encourages drivers to take a short rest every 2 hours. So rather than to say that there are places to rest, you should plan your roads so that there sure are places to rest. Express Ways always have "Parking Area"s.

About squeezing in Kyoto, anything is possible. But you can make day trips to Kyoto from Nagoya (or even Tokyo) by train.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/21 10:19
Thanks Hakata and Uco. These are certainly very useful advice to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip. I will adjust the itinerary and also plan in public transportation.

Re: Japan - Chubu Region in January? 2017/12/21 23:06
Does any one know how to travel from Shirakawago to Tosuke-no-yu Fujiya onsen? Thank you.

reply to this thread