Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/1 22:34
Hello all,
I need your help to plan a 8 Day/night trip for me in japan. So far i have booked my flights to land tokyo un 10 feb and leave from osaka on 18th so have roughly 8 days to see tokyo and travel towards osaka / kyoto.

Can anyone help me t plan a trip including places where i can enjoy snow ( for playing snowballs) may be yuzawa or any other place with snow in feb. I am looking to visit kyoto, nara, uji, takayama or hakone if possible.
Its just a rough estimate so you are free to propose me a better route ( will be helpful if you guide me the cities to spend night to or the city to just day travel and leave overnight)

Thanks in advance,

Anish Kumar Giri ( travelling from singapore)
by anish kumar giri (guest)  

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/2 08:42
You have chosen too many places to visit in 8 days. Drop Takayama - you won't have time.

Start with a few days in Tokyo and a few days in Osaka. Travel between the two via Nagano, where you can see snow and perhaps also visit Jigokudani to see the snow monkeys in their onsen. The bypass to Nagano should only take one day (i.e. leave Tokyo in the morning, travel to Nagano, spend the day there, travel onto Osaka in the afternoon/evening).

You need to do some more research yourself. This forum is not for us to provide you with an itinerary; that is a travel agent's job. You need to do more planning, and provide more information: what kind of activities would you like to do, what is your budget, are you travelling with other people, are you a fast or slow traveller, etc.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/2 08:50
Realistically and practically, with only 8 days to spend, Tokyo and Kyoto are the only places I would consider for your itinerary.
by Majide (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/2 10:06
The OP is from Singapore so I think seeing snow is one of the priority for her/his trip. There are many places the OP can see snow in Feb, so I would suggest some places.

Karuizawa Prince Snow Resort

http://www.princehotels.com/en/ski/karuizawa/

Jigokudani Monkey Park

Live Camera: http://www.jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/livecam2/still.php
http://www.jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/livecam2/video.php

Shin-Hotaka Ropeway
Live Camera: http://shinhotaka-ropeway.jp/livecamera/

There are many ways to go (through snow area) from Tokyo to Osaka, and each has it's pros and cons. For example, you can go to Karuizawa by Shinkansen which is very convenient, but not as interesting as other route. You can go Shin-Hotaka by using bus, but it will take more time and transfers.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/ticket/pdf/panf701[1].pdf

I would suggest to assign 2 days in Tokyo, 3 days in snow area (maybe including Takayama and Shirakawago), and 3 days in Kyoto and Osaka.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/2 19:08
I agree with only making Tokyo and Kyoto locations due to having only 8 days. Maybe add Hakone as a single overnight while traveling between the two

But if snow is a priority, then include the Nagano area. You'd probably have to give Hakone a miss due to limited time.

Noting one is from Singapore thought, with being so close to Japan with regular flights all over Japan, just come back another time for all the stuff that was missed.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/15 01:31
Hi all,
Thanks for your valuable feedbacks. May I ask how about adding Yuzawa ( as preferring snow lands and read nagona doesn't always recieve snow - and I dont want to miss it atall) . So tokyo - Yuzawa- osaka + Kyoto. Recalling its a 8 day trip. Do you all think its feasible?
by anish (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/15 05:59
Yuzawa is right on Shinkansen line, so it is very easy to get to from Tokyo. You would just take the Joetsu Shinkansen directly from Tokyo or Ueno Station to Echigo-Yuzawa station. Only takes about 80 minutes and is covered by the 3-day Tokyo Wide Area Pass (or full JR pass if you decide to buy one of those).

I would do it as a side trip on one of your days in Tokyo. You will have to return all the way to Tokyo Station from there to get to Osaka, so it wouldn't make much sense to do as a trip in between.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/15 07:39
Both Yuzawa and Gala ( A special Shinkansen station only open in winter ) are right in the middle of the ski resort. In both stations you literally just need to leave the station building to be in the snow.
If you want to do more than only SEE the snow you can rent for a few hours snow outfit and maybe a sledge ( or skis/snowboard) and get into the snow.

It is totally doable as a day trip from Tokyo.

Enjoy the snow!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/17 01:40
Thanks for all the valuable feedbacks. Its really helping me more and more in my plannings. I have one more question ( may be last question). I am planning to Buy 7 day JR pass. Does JR pass covers whole of Japan and I can go to any place and any end of Japan with this pass?
To be more clear will JR pass help me to travel following itinerary:
tokyo - yuzawa - tokyo - nagaono- tokyo - hakone- osaka- kyoto ? or some part of it wont be covered under JR pass and I might have to buy another ticket separately ?

This question is more of regarding budget planning. Any response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anish
by Anish (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/17 04:39
tokyo - yuzawa - tokyo - nagaono- tokyo - hakone- osaka- kyoto ? or some part of it wont be covered under JR pass and I might have to buy another ticket separately?

Therefs a good JR pass calculator on this webpage.

However assuming that g nagaono g is actually gNaganoh, everything except the part from Odawara to Hakone would seem to be covered. City buses and subway and the like would also not be covered.

Just know that there are many different rail companies in Japan. The JR pass is only valid for the JR companies, not for others, such as eg Odakyu to Hakone. Sometimes there are two different companies going to the same area. And not always JR might be the most convenient for you. Eg if you stay in Shinjuku it would be easier to go the entire way to Hakone by Odakyu instead of using JR to Odawara. But that would increase your costs. If however you are staying more close to Tokyo or Shinagawa, JR would be more convenient.

Enjoy your trip to Japan !
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/20 15:53
Hello All, I am quite confused with the JR pass usage. I want to check if at all it would cover my destinitions ( mentioned in above thread) and the stations where I should aboard for these source and destinitions. The JR calculator provided in this blog page doesnt seems to be useful as I cant find how to get to yuzawa from JR pass. the destination is not mentioned in the drop down.

Can some one pleasse help me with deciding the statiosn to aboard and alight for the following itenary:

tokyo - yuzawa - tokyo - nagano- tokyo - hakone- osaka- kyoto-osaka.

Any early response will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Anish
by anish kumar rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/20 16:37
Scroll to the bottom for how to access Yuzawa: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7690.html
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/20 16:44
Yuzawa (in Akita prefecture) is about 4 hours train ride, but is covered by the (nation-wide) JR pass.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TOKYO&arv_node=...

Maybe you may refer to Echigo-Yuzawa which is 80 min ride from Tokyo (by Shinkansen).

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=TOKYO&arv_node=...

Echigo-Yuzawa is also covered. Note "Shinkansen" in blue color. All shinkansen lines are JR lines and basically it is covererd (with some exceptions, Nozomi or Mizuho are not covered).

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/help/help_ke.html#point_mark
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/20 17:03
Echigo-Yuzawa is the train station, but the resort town it is next to is just called Yuzawa. Echigo is an old name for Niigata, which is the prefecture it is located in, so that is where the station name came from. There may be other towns in Japan called Yuzawa, but most people think of the ski resort town when they speak of Yuzawa as a tourist.
by me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: your itinerary and transportation (1) 2018/1/21 00:57
Tokyo - Yuzawa - Tokyo - Nagano- Tokyo - Hakone- Osaka- Kyoto - Osaka.

You don't have to get back to Tokyo after you visit
the Yuzawa skiing resort (in Niigata Prefecture) or
the so-called snow monkey park (in Yamanouchi Town in Nagano Prefecture).
Also, when you start from Tokyo, usually Osaka is further than Kyoto.

You can travel
by JR Shinkansen lines
from Tokyo Station via Takasaki to Echigo-Yuzawa Station
then via Takasaki to Nagano Station
then via Joetsumyoko to Kanazawa Station,
and from Kanazawa by JR conventional (= non-Shinkansen) lines
(on a Limited Express Thunderbird) to Kyoto Station,
and from Kyoto by JR Kyoto Line
(on a Special Rapid train) to Osaka Station.

A 7-day Japan Rail Pass is valid for 7 consecutive days,
and you will have 9 calendar days from the 10th to 18th of February.
To make the pass cover your way to Kansai Airport [KIX] on the 18th,
you should use it from the 12th or later day;
when you use it from the 11th,
you should pay additionally for your KIX access.

I suggest you make a combination of
a JR EAST Pass (Nagano, Niigata area), JR regular tickets and a Nankai discount ticket
for your major legs
(other than the legs Odawara City -- Hakone Town and Nagano City -- Yamanouchi Town,
which are not covered by any JR pass).

This combination covers (almost) all the JR train rides for your currently-planned trips,
and the total amount is estimated at most at 29410 yen (except for Uji and Nara trips),
which is about the same as the price of that 7-day (Ordinary-Class) Japan Rail Pass.

The JR EAST Pass (Nagano, Niigata area)
can be used on any 5 days during the 14 days from the day of issuance,
and it covers
the (Tokyo Monorail and) JR sections
on your ways from the airport (NRT | HND), to Echigo-Yuzawa and to Nagano
and the JR section until Joetsumyoko on your way to Kanazawa.
A foreign tourist can purchase an Exchange Order for this pass
at 17000 yen through the JR East website (set up separately for booking passes).
- A JR EAST Pass (Nagano, Niigata area)
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_n/

The amount of the JR regular fees for the JR route beyond Joetsumyoko until Osaka
is estimated at around 11000 yen,
on the condition that you don't stay overnight on your way for Kyoto.

For you to get from Osaka City to KIX,
a Nankai Kanku-WEBTOKU Ticket is available at 1130 yen.
A voucher for this ticket can be purchased
only through the Nankai website (set up separately for sales of discount tickets).
This discount ticket allows you
to have a Nankai Limited Express Rapi:t train ride from Namba Station to Kansai-airport Station.
Seats in a Rapi:t train require reservation;
you can try to reserve your seat when you turn in the voucher for your ticket.
-[Dep:Namba/Arr:Kansai Airport] KANKU-WEBTOKU TICKET (regular seat)
http://www1.nanka-e-tabi.com/NEREN/ItemDetail.aspx?tc=IB4AOSNAMKIR&sk=...
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: your itinerary and transportation (2) 2018/1/21 02:58
Your itinerary may be, for example, like this.
A possible problem is that Hakone and/or Yuzawa resort(s) may be crowded because the weekend from the 10th (of February 2018) will be practically extended to be until the 12th.

Feb-10 (Saturday)
: Flying into Tokyo Haneda Airport [HND].
: Staying overnight in Tokyo.
Feb-11 (National holiday)
: Making a daytrip to Hakone hot spring resort.
: Staying overnight in Tokyo.
Feb-12 (Substitute holiday)
: Heading to Yuzawa skiing resort (in about 1 + half hours).
: Going by JR to Nagano Station (in about 1 + half to 2 hours).
: Staying overnight near Nagano Stations (of JR and Nagaden).
Feb-13 (Tuesday)
: Heading to the snow monkey park
by Nagaden railway and bus (in about 2 + half hours).
: Going back to Nagano Station (in about 2 + half hours).
: Staying overnight near Nagano Stations.
Feb-14 (Wednesday)
: Going by JR to Kanazawa Station (in about 1 to 1 + half hours).
: Heading to Kyoto Station (in about 2 to 2 + half hours).
: Staying overnight in Kyoto City.
Feb-15 (Thursday) and
Feb-16 (Friday)
: Exploring Kyoto.
: Staying overnight in Kyoto City.
Feb-17 (Saturday)
: Heading to Osaka City.
: Exploring Osaka.
: Staying overnight in Osaka City.
Feb-17 (Sunday)
: Flying out from Kansai Airport [KIX].

[Regarding the "snow monkey park" trip]

It seems that buses only very infrequently run between Yudanaka Station and Kanbayashi Onsen, much less than "1-2 buses per hour" (per way) mentioned in the Japan Guide article.
You can embark and disembark at Nakano Station bus stop (near Shinshu-Nakano Station), which is the terminus of this bus line, instead of Yudanaka Station bus stop.

Also, according to the article, you walk on the trail between the bus stop and the park for about 40 minutes per way, where "sturdy footwear is recommended" especially in winter.

- Japan Guide: Jigokudani Monkey Park: Access
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6028.html#section_get_there
- Bus timetables
http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp.e.aaf.hp.transer.com/local/diagram/diagram...

Bus and train connections on weekdays:
From Nagano Station
: Nagano Sta. {07:51} --[Nagaden (railway)]-- {08:42} Shinshu-Nakano Sta.,
Nakano Sta. bus stop {09:00} --[Nagaden (bus)]-- {09:48} Kanbayashi Onsen bus stop.
: Nagano Sta. {09:04} --[Nagaden (railway)]-- {09:40} Shinshu-Nakano Sta.,
Nakano Sta. bus stop {10:05} --[Nagaden (bus)]-- {10:53} Kanbayashi Onsen bus stop.
To Nagano Station
: Kanbayashi Onsen bus stop {13:55} --[Nagaden (bus)]-- {14:43} Nakano Sta. bus stop,
Shinshu-Nakano Sta. {15:07} --[Nagaden (railway)]-- {15:53} Nagano Sta. bus stop.
: Kanbayashi Onsen bus stop {16:13} --[Nagaden (bus)]-- {17:01} Nakano Sta. bus stop,
Shinshu-Nakano Sta. {17:08} --[Nagaden (railway)]-- {17:53} Nagano Sta. bus stop.

[Regarding Uji and/or Nara trip]

Whether it would be better to cut some time in Kyoto City and/or Osaka City and visit Uji and/or Nara depends on your purpose of this journey and your interests.

Generally speaking, compared to Osaka City, Kyoto City has much more things for tourists to see and expedience.

Correction: typo 2018/1/21 03:13
A typo is found: "expedience" should be "experience" in my latest response.

Correction: typo 2018/1/21 03:18
Oops! There is obviously another typo: "Feb-17" before "(Sunday)" should be "Feb-18"; I hope there is no more misspelled word.

Re: your itinerary and transportation (3) 2018/1/21 17:14
Here I renew my descriptions on how to get to the monkey park.

You can take a Nagaden Express bus on the Shiga Kogen Line from (JR) Nagano Station East Exit bus terminal to Snow Monkey Park bus stop
then walk up a (relatively gentle) slope for several minutes to the starting point of the trail (beside Kanbayashi Onsen bus stop on the Nagaden Bus Kanbayashi Line).
http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp.e.aaf.hp.transer.com/express/guide/#area01
http://www.nagadenbus.co.jp.e.aaf.hp.transer.com/express/winter/shigak...
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/36.7274031,138.4434208/36.7297506,13...

This route is much faster than the route by railway plus non-express bus (which is mentioned in my previous response).
I wonder why this faster route is not stated in the Japan Guide article featuring the monkey park while it is clearly explained in another article.
- Japan Guide: Yamanouchi: Access and Orientation
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6027.html

I rewrite the part of the suggested itinerary for the 13th of February.

----

Feb-13 (Tuesday)
: Heading to the snow monkey park
by Nagaden Express bus then on foot (in about 1 + half hours).
: Going back to (JR) Nagano Station (in about 1 + half hours).
: Staying overnight near Nagano Stations.

----

Re: Plan a trip for 8 days from tokyo to osaka 2018/1/21 17:41
Thanks to everyone who replied in this thread. Please take my words it was seriously helpful. Thanks alot for all the guidance.
by anish kumar rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread