Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/4 13:15
Hello,

Hope that maybe here someone will be able to shed some light on my question, as the local JTB was unable/unwilling to provide necessary answers.

I am considering the JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass for part of our travels. It would save us a bit in train fares. The question now is:

As per t&c's it cover Shinkansen travel up to Joetsumyoko Station. We would travel from Nagano to Toyama Station. That leaves us with an uncovered section from Joetsumyoko to Toyama. The preferred train from Nagano to Toyama is a Kagayaki non-stop service, not stopping in Joetsumyoko. If we buy an additional ticket/seat fare etc. (Joetsumyoko to Toyama) at Nagano Station, would we still be able to take that specific non-stop train? Since in theory we would then have paid for the missing/non-covered section.

May thanks and cheers!
by Tiger (guest)  

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/4 13:35
Surprising that they didn't know the answer.

If you have a section of travel that is outside the validity area. You can just pay extra for that uncovered area.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/4 13:37
Oh and the second question. If a train does not stop at the station your are at, you cannot get on it.

If you are planning to do Nagano to Toyama. Go to the ticket counter with your pass, and they'll get you do pay the extra for the uncovered section there and then.

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/4 14:02
Hi hakata,

Many thanks for your info.

Yeah, I am aware that I can't get on a train if it doesn't stop. ;) In this case though the train stops where I get on (Nagano) and get off (Toyama) but not in Joetsumyoko (where the pass coverage ends). Thus my question was more if I still can take it plus paying the additional fare to cover the non-covered section.

Since that according to your info seems ok to do, then it's great. Alternatively I could take an earlier Nagano - Toyama train, which does stop at Joetsumyoko.

Thanks a lot!
by Tiger (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/5 03:32
You donft need to get off a Shinkansen train at Joetsumyoko Station due to the limitation of this passfs coverage.

You can purchase a JR EAST Pass (Nagano, Niigata Area) and try to reserve a seat for Nagano -- Joetsumyoko -- Toyama together at one JR-East counter.

When you have successfully reserved your seat, in addition to the pass, I presume the following tickets are issued.
: Seat reservation ticket for Nagano -- Joetsumyoko -- Toyama.
: Shinkansen super express ticket for Joetsumyoko -- Toyama.

Usually a Shinkansen reserved-seat super express ticket is issued, which works both as a super express ticket and as a seat reservation ticket.
For your case, because your train skips Joetsumyoko Station, I suppose a ticket of this type cannot be issued separately for the section Joetsumyoko -- Toyama.

When will you travel?
How is your whole itinerary?
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/5 09:25
Where else are you travelling? The Shinkansen fare from Joetsumyoko to Toyama is 5250 yen. Added to the price of the JR East pass and you are over 22000 yen total. If you did a round trip back from Toyama you'd be at 27500 yen and you may as well buy the full JR pass.

Depending on where else you are going, you may look at the Hokuriku Arch pass,
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/5 10:43
Thank you all for your information. It is greatly appreciated.

The reason for the JR East (Nagano/Niigata) Pass over the JR Pass was that it allows 5 days of travel within 14 days, while the JR Pass allows only 7 consecutive days (or 14 days) in which case the Matsumoto - Tokyo section is not covered anymore as it falls outside of the 7 days validity.

We'll be taking the train as follows (in sequence - can't be changed to due scheduling issues):
1. Tokyo - Nagano
2. Nagano - Takayama (via Toyama)
3. Matsumoto - Tokyo
These are the major "long distance" trains we'll take. Plus the pass may cover the airport rides or others we may do. It would save a little if my calculations were correct as compared to single tickets.

I haven't compared the total against the JR Pass though with the option of paying the Matsumoto - Tokyo fare as an extra separate ticket (~\6,700) Also, according to my info from Hyperdia, the fare for Joetsumyoko - Toyama is \4,850.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/5 14:30
Said pass doesn't cover Toyama to Takayama either. So I'd redo your sums...

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/6 01:59
Do you have plans to stay and visit Toyama, or is it just your path to Takayama? If it is the latter, I might suggest purchasing the add-on Matsumoto bus pass with your JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass. You would then travel to Takayama via Matsumoto, skipping Toyama. Then your trip to Takayama would add only 4500 yen to the cost of the JR East pass.

If you do still need to go through Toyama, then you will be paying the cost of Joetsumyoko - Toyama (~5000 yen), Toyama - Takayama (1600-3600 yen) and Takayama to Matsumoto bus (3200 yen) on top of the JR East pass. That adds up to about 10,000 + 17,000 for pass, which works out to the same as individual fares.

If you do book individual fares, keep in mind that there is a bus from Matsumoto to Tokyo (Shinjuku) that is about half the cost of the train and only takes about 40-50 mins extra.

by Me3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/6 08:24
1 & 2. Tokyo - Nagano - Takayama (via Toyama) = Y14,330 (depends a bit on timing - if you have a long stay at Nagano then Y8,200 plus Y10,930 = Y19,130)
3. Matsumoto - Tokyo = Y7,100
Total 21,430 yen.

IMO the 18,000 yen pass is pretty bad value for money given what you have written.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/6 12:08
Many thanks for all your further input and advice - especially to Me3! The additional bus option for the pass has not caught my eye yet. It's a good idea and "slowing down" the journey a bit is a good thing too. That's most likely what we'll do then. It's also the only "excursion" outside of the pass area.

I appreciate it! Many thanks again to all and have a great weekend ahead!

Cheers.

Re: JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass 2018/1/6 13:07
There is no point in having the pass is you go Tokyo - Matsumoto, and return, even if one is via Nagano. As the cost outweights the "major" trips taken.

reply to this thread