Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/13 11:04
Hi All,

I would be staying in Osaka. Not sure if a day trip from Osaka to Takayama via Nagoya would be feasible? I am using JR Pass. Would you be able to suggest any alternatives? Thanks.
by Osaka to Takayama (guest)  

Re: Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/13 14:35
HyperDia knows, click "Interval timetable" of result.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Direct LtdExp Hida opetating number is limited, and cannot take Shinkansen "NOZOMI".
by Nioz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/13 14:42
While technically possible, it does make for a long day.
But, you can get there as early as 10:16 in the morning and return as late as 18:46 in the evening giving a bit over eight hours in town. That is enough time to visit some of the museums, enjoy the food, visit some of the attractions and look around.
The "day" also includes four hours each way on the train.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/13 16:51
Thank you for the answer. May I know can shirakawago and takayama be done in a single day? Any direct transport from shirakawago to takayama?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/13 18:36
@guest

If you read the response about your question. You should be able to calculate is both locations can be done in the one day.

But if you cannot then I'll do the maths for you. Just under 8 hours at Takayama. Bus to Shirakawago is 30 minutes. So you need 60 minutes extra transit time.

So you have around 3 hours at each location. Really doesn't seem worth it...
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/13 18:43
Takayama alone would be a very long day, adding Shirakawago would make it ridiculous. You ask about alternatives. What sort of thing are you hoping to see? The obvious general places are Nara, Hikone, Onimichi, Tomonoura or indeed anywhere on the inland sea. Heck even to get to Hiroshima would take half the time to get to Takayama.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip from Osaka to Takayama possible? 2018/1/14 08:04
If I was going to to that rather odd trip, I would get the first train (a bit after 6 a.m.), and on arrival walk via the preserved districts (both east and west) to the festival float museum, and then a couple of other spots (I thought the Showa Museum was a good spot to spend an hour), before getting back to the train station (there might be time for a quick ramen on the way) for the iSite bus to take in Shirakawa-go (departs 1:20, returns 5:00 - the bus trip is about 50 minutes each way, but you get enough time at the village for a good look around). That gives enough time for some Hida beef dinner before jumping back on the train(s) to Osaka.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread