Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unazuki to Shirakawago and to Ryokan Ontake 2018/1/13 16:29
Hello,

This will be happening later this month. On that day, I intend to head to Shirakawago from Unazuki onsen. After which I will go to Ryokan Ontake. Do you think this is doable in a day given that this is winter? I have a 4WD though.

Ken
by kenopps (guest)  

Re: Unazuki via Shirakawa-go to Ryokan Ontake 2018/1/17 02:34
Here "Ryokan Ontake" seems to refer to the inn [ryokan] of the following link.
- Ryokan Ontake in Nigorigo-onsen
https://www.ryokan-ontake.jp/eng/

This ryokan is in Nigorigo hot spring resort in Gero City in Gifu Prefecture, near Mount Ontake, which stands across the boundary between Gifu and Nagano Prefectures.

It sounds not easy to reach this inn during the snowy season in winter.
No railway station is nearby; plies of snow and icy roads may well be hindrance to your access.
One pick-up bus is scheduled per day to run from Takayama Station, departing in the afternoon.
The one-way fare is 1000 yen.
https://www.ryokan-ontake.jp/eng/access/

I think you had better avoid driving a car to this inn in winter.
According to the latest news in Japanese on the website,
there are plies of snow and icy roads within a radius of 15 kilometers around the inn,
you should fit studless tires or tire chains to get there by car,
you are expected to arrive by 6 p.m.,
and it is very dangerous to drive a car at night around the inn.

Do you think this is doable in a day given that this is winter?

It sounds a little ambitious; your timeline is to be shown in my next response.

Due to the low frequency of Shinkansen trains making a stop at Kurobe-Unazukionsen Station,
you reach Toyama Station too early to get prepared for your bus ride to Shirakawa-go.

The arrival of your express bus at Takayama may be delayed and the departure of your pick-up bus may be advanced; so, when you plan to reach this inn on the same day, you cannot have much time for sightseeing in Shirakawa-go.

I suppose it should be better to stay overnight around Takayama Station then head to this ryokan on the following day by bus in the afternoon.

- Japan Guide: Highway express bus timetables
https://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: your timeline 2018/1/17 02:42
Below is your timeline to visit Shirakawa-go and reach Ryokan Ontake in one day.
As you see, it is not practical time-wise.

Kurobe-Unazukionsen Station
{ 7:03, Track 2}
| JR Hokuriku Shinkansen: Hakutaka 591
{ 7:15, Track 13}
Toyama Station: (Shinkansen) Central Gate
| Walking
| : You pass through the Shinkansen gate,
| turn to the left, get out to South Exit
| then soon find on your left the railway and shopping complex called as ESTA.
| : You can go up to the station's concourse by elevator, escalator or stairway.
Dentetsu-Toyama Station (of Toyama Chihou Railway):
Ticket Center near the ticket gate, next to the staff booth
: The counter for highway express bus tickets is open from 7:00.
| Walking
Toyama Station Bus Stop
{ 8:50}
| Highway express bus
{10:10}
Shirakawa-go Bus Stop.

Shirakawa-go Bus Stop
{12:05}
| Highway express bus
{12:55}
Takayama Nohi Bus Center
| Walking
Takayama Station.

Takayama Station
http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/_img/takayama_L.jpg
| Walking
|: You go by the bridge (outside the ticket gate) from east to west.
Takayama Station West Exit bus terminal
{14:10 (or earlier)}
| Pick-up bus
{16:10}
Ryokan Ontake.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Unazuki to Shirakawago and to Ryokan Ontake 2018/1/17 04:28
@omotenashi: I understand the OPs post that he/she intents to drive the entire way from Unazuki to the Ryokan visiting Shirakawa on the way. OP, can you clarify if this understanding is correct?

Also do you start from Unazukionsen (ie way into the Kurobe valley) or from the Shinkansen station gKurobe- Unazukionsenh(ie down in the plain)?

Per google map the drive from Unazukionsen (ie inside The Valley) to Shirakawa is about 2 h. I would add at least 30-60 min for safety. Then you will spend some time in Shirakawa and have lunch and restart.

Per the webpage of the Ryokan you must arrive prior to 18:00 as the road gets closed at 18:00 and you must have snow tyrs or chains. ( https://www.ryokan-ontake.jp/ )

Per Google Maps it will take an other 2 h drive from
Shirakawa to the Ryokan. Again I would add an other hour to it for safety.

Deparure: 8:00
Arrival Shirakawa: 11:00
Visiting and lunch: 14:00
Arrival Ryokan: 17:00
Sunset around 17:00
Latest possible arrival at Ryokan is 18:00

Please take these times with caution. This is only what Google maps says plus some added time, not actually personal experience.

Per the above it seems to be doable but if you can cut it short somewhere, eg by staying the night before around Kurobe-Unazukionsen (the JR station) that would help.

Please also note that for your continuation on from the Ryokan it is strongly advised to NOT take the direct street to Gero onsen.

Enjoy your winterly visit to Japan!

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread