Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/13 19:08
Hi there.

I got a company sponsoring me for a working visa and applied for the COE.
Although I work only in Japanese with coworkers I have never properly (in a class) studied Japanese, and I don't have the JLPT. Unfortunately my COE got rejected, I assume it was probably because I had a teacher from a senmon gakkou writing me an attestation, as expected it was not enough for immigration.

I'm planning on passing the JLPT anyway and I know it's probably the only solution, but it would be very embarrassing to have to wait the next JLPT session... I was curious if anyone has ever been accepted with other kind of certification (like a cover letter)? I guess having studied japanese at least once in a class would already be more persuasive than my blank CV...

Thanks
by dorayakimachine  

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/14 09:27
Ummm... I frankly don`t know why your COE got rejected, but JLPT is no requirement for COE. Unless obviously you are applying for a visa under the point system and want to get points from JLPT N1, but actually dont have JLPT N1...

COE can definitely be obtained without any Japanese knowledge. So it might be your specific situation. You said that the company that wants to employ you asked for the COE, so maybe they could consult with immigration why it was rejected? Or maybe you could share more information why you think it got rejected because of lack of JLPT?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/14 14:13
You don't know the reason for your CoE's rejection, do you? It would be better to ask the company (or immigration lawyer if they used one) to find out why.

Maybe the type of job and the work visa you applied for simply requires a higher education, or maybe the salary that your employer is offering is not enough... I don't think CoE and JLPT have anything to do with each other...

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/15 03:42
Thank you for answers.
I know the JLPT is not a requirement for the COE, but I meant that it was possibly a reason why it was rejected.
My situation is: My company really wants me for the job, and since as you know they ask an accurate justification of why they would hire a foreigner rather than a japanese, we emphasized aspects of work which need english skills. First time I got rejected saying there's no proof of my abilities in japanese, and so we submitted a certification made by a senmon gakkou teacher. 2 months after that, they rejected again saying there's no proof of my japanese to english translation abilities, although I have the TOEFL... (just in case, I'm not applying for a translator job or anything).

Do they mean I would need a translator degree?? Or are they saying me indirectly that whatever I do I will be rejected... I'm really confused, I assume the lack of proper Japanese ability certification doesn't help.
by dorayakimachine rate this post as useful

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/15 10:24
First time I got rejected saying there's no proof of my abilities in japanese, and so we submitted a certification made by a senmon gakkou teacher. 2 months after that, they rejected again saying there's no proof of my japanese to english translation abilities, although I have the TOEFL... (just in case, I'm not applying for a translator job or anything).
From your comment above I suspect that the company may have provide wrong information about your work offer/description since you say your job offer/ description does not involve translation J-E BUT yet twice rejection related to your Japanese ability, especially the second rejection which require to show your J-E translation ability.

I would suggest to you to double check with your company what COE application did they submit that make the immigration insist/request for your Japanese ability, since you yourself said your job will not involve any translation work.

Maybe some misunderstand/miscommunication
on the application.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/15 10:48
Thank you for the answer! I assume it might be a problem of communication as you said but I'm still not confident about this japanese ability certification stuff... I read many posts suggesting that immigration tends not to explain clearly the reason for denial so I was wondering what could have been the causes for being rejected two times.

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/15 15:01
Do you have at least a bachelors degree? Ifve never heard of someone being rejected for the reason you said, but if the company claimed somewhere they needed you to translate or work in Japanese and you donft have a degree they may mean they want proof that youfve had the years of experience in translation/Japanese work required to qualify you for a visa, not just a letter saying that youfve reached a certain level.

But with two rejections it may be time to talk to a lawyer.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question about COE and JLPT 2018/1/15 18:14
Yes, I do have a bachelor degree but not related to Japanese, and the application was submitted by a lawyer.

reply to this thread