Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

13 Night Japan trip 2018/1/18 17:33
Hi All,
My 16 year old daughter and i are first time visitors and are staying 13 nights. Arrive and depart from Osaka. I have 3 nights accom booked in Osaka. We basically want to do the default Japan tour itinerary. Is 3 nights in Osaka enough time to do the local highlights Kyoto Nara etc. We would like to visit Hiroshima, Snow Monkeys, Temple, Shrine, countryside and of course Tokyo. After Osaka i plan to travel to Hiroshima. From there am i better to go up to Nagano area first or head to Tokyo for a few nights there and then do that region before heading back to Osaka to depart. Am i trying to do too much for first trip. I have done a little research on JR Pass and local passes but need to read more forums as well. Have only just booked trip a couple of days ago. we land 17 Feb so feeling a bit rushed on gathering info so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou
by Craig (guest)  

Re: 13 Night Japan trip 2018/1/18 20:08
I think you need to do a bit more reading (eg on this webpage or a travel guide book), ideally with your daughter to decide where you guys want to go. For first time travelers there are suggested itineraries on this webpage where you can enter the number of days you wAnt to travel. Just to get an idea.

JR pass, there is also a calculator on this webpage. However if you are doing Osaka, Hiroshima, Nagano, Tokyo and Osaka it would sound like that it pays off.

Regarding Nagano, it will be snowy there in February. Is that what you are looking for?

Regarding if 3 days in Osaka are enough to see Kyoto , Nara AND Osaka, I would say no. You could easily spend a week in Kyoto. But I would allow at minimum 1 day for Nara and 3 for Kyoto. In my personal opinion you can skip Osaka. But that is me, not you.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 13 Night Japan trip 2018/1/18 23:26
I agree - instead of Osaka stay 4-5 nights in Kyoto.
About Nagano - leave it to next trip. Around Hiroshima/Chugoku there is plenty to see for couple of days, find your countryside there. Then last 4-5 days in Tokyo. Maybe last night in Osaka, as you depart there.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 13 Night Japan trip 2018/1/19 01:17
If you just want to see monkeys, you can go to the monkey park in Arashiyama in Kyoto. There isn't an onsen they bathe in there but you can feed them for 100-200 yen a bag of food if you go into the little people cage. It's a heck of a lot easier to get there than the snow monkeys in Nagano, which are around 45 minutes to 1 hour by bus or train from JR Nagano Station to either Yudanaka Station or the snow Monkey bus stop. From Yudanaka there is an additional bus trip to Kanbayashi Station or the Snow Monkey stop. You then need to hike in the forest 25-45 minutes to get to the monkeys. To quote Japan Guide: The walking trail is passable around the year, but sturdy footwear is recommended especially in winter. Neither the bus or train are covered by any JR Passes. I've heard some of the ryokan will take you to the parking lot to make the hike shorter, but the road to the closer lot is closed in February. You also need to stay at said ryokan.

I'm also not an Osaka fan. I only go to visit friends and/or to visit USJ. I like Kyoto much more.

Hiroshima to Tokyo is about 4.5 hours by shinkansen. You are likely to need to change trains somewhere along the line since most Hikaris don't go all the way from Hiroshima to Tokyo. Going directly to Nagano is going to take you a minimum of 6 hours and again from JR Nagano, you would still need to get to the actual monkeys. You would also be getting to JR Nagano station at close to 15:00 at the earliest.

by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread