Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/23 18:55
Hi all

We are considering to visit Nishiki market the very same day we leave Kyoto (our hotel is 5 minutes from there). Free of luggage (wefll use Ta Q bin)

When does the market open? Some webs says 9,9:30 and even 10am.

We would like to go as early as possible since our train leaves at 11am although we have another train one hour later.

Is a 9 to 10.30h visit a decent one? Or we will feel rushed?

I assume that being there before 9am is pointless. Correct me if I am wrong.

As I have said, we can extend one more hour, from 9 to 11.30. Or maybe this is too much?

Thanks!

PS: I have seen that the one of the Nishiki market exit is quite close to the subway that connects to JR Kyoto station. So I have considered 30 minutes a safe amount of time from getting there from the market.
by amo (guest)  

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 05:55
I answer to myself:;

http://kyoto-nishiki.or.jp/stores/index.html

At 9am there is a 50% open stalls. The rest around 10am.
I'll choose an alternative. Use that morning to visit Nijo jo and leave the nishiki for another evening.

Nijo jo opens at 8.45, is at 15min by subway and people say that it can be visited in 60-90 min with no rush at all.

So I could even get the 11am train, and also free some time to visit other places in the previous Kyoto days...

:)
by amo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 06:27
I dont want to knock it, but a couple of hours in Nishiki markets would have to be up there with the most wasted time I've spent in Kyoto. It's a bit like Takeshita dori in Harajuku - mainly shops selling cheap tourist stuff, with some selling food that you cant cook in hotels or take out of Japan. The shopping areas near Fushimi Inari and (say) Kiyomizudera (even though the latter is very crowded now) have better stuff IMO, and at least the areas are nicer. I wouldnt expect much.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 07:38
There is a restaurant near to Nishiki that will serve/cook your purchases for you.

I saw it on a fairly recent NHK World program but don't have the details. The program itself was all about Nishiki and well worth seeking out as a prelude to a visit.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 07:50

Thanks!

As I have said, I'll visit Nijo instead. I have also realized in google maps that Nishiki is not that huge as I thought so I agree that it was too much quality time there.

Hopefully Nijo jo will fit far better...

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 13:22
The actual building at Nijo isnt awe inspiring but the grounds are really nice. There is also another nice garden closer to the station - the Shoisien gardens - and they are well worth a look.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 15:58
I find Nishiki is interesting. Nishiki is a long stretch of market. I've been there once and thought it will be enough, but I returned there 2 times. Indeed it's quite touristy, but if this is your first time to Japan, it's good to have some souvenirs and key flavors of Kyoto in one place. Some stuffs like Waterfront umbrella are slightly more pricey than other shops, but it's convenient to do final shopping at one place.

Back to your original question, 9am indeed was too early. Many shops were still closed. 10am will be ideal. If you're in Kyoto and have some spare time, I'd recommend a visit to Nishiki. 1 hr should be enough for strolling around, may need times if you'd like get some small bites or souvenirs.

I saw the programme mentioned by WinterVisitor on NHK streaming site, and wished I watched it before I went.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/corekyoto/201707120600/
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Nishiki market early morning visit 2018/1/24 16:31
Thanks for your comments!

I will indeed visit Nishiki market but probably not that morning.

Even if Nijo is not the best sight it fits nicely in that morning since it is not huge and it is also conveniently located for my planning (15 min subway from my hotel and JR station)

If I manage to visit Nijo in a previous day I could try this garden next to the station...

reply to this thread