Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/24 12:46
Hi

I'm overwhelmed by all the transport choices I have around the area..... thus thinking off it'd be better to just ask away and get some suggestions

Below is my prelim itinerary. Nothing is set in stone so if anyone likes to suggest any alternatives, it'd be very welcomed as well....

Day-1:

- Arrive at KIX at 17:30
- Stay a night in Osaka

Day-2:

- Full-day sightseeing in Osaka (reads: the usual Osaka tour)

Day-3:

- Leave for Nara early in the morning
- Full-day at Nara and then off to Kyoto in the evening
- A night in Kyoto

Day-4:

- Full-day in Kyoto
- I believe there should be plenty to do... all the shrines and such

Day-5:

- Another full-day in Kyoto
- I haven't yet had a solid plan but it should be fairly easy to fill 2-day worth of staying?
- At around 23:xx, take a night bus to Odawara (and continue on the Hakone-Fuji area...)

My initial thought was that I could do with:
Day-1: Whatever single fair ticket to get me from KIX to Osaka (place to stay yet to be confirmed)
Day-2: Osaka Amazing Pass
Day-3-4-5: 3-day Kansai Thru Pass

However, reading through many forums it seems that if I'm not using the transportation extensively or going somewhere really far for multiple round trips, most of the time the pass just doesn't really justify its value?

I'd be much appreciated any comments. Thanks in advance :-)

by xtk  

Re: Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/24 15:16
other than your first day. you are not traveling enough to warrant getting passes that equal 1733-2000 yen per day.

use an IC card like Icoca.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/25 04:16
At first glance, probably no passes are worth it as all routes are pretty cheap. If you plan on moving around a lot in Osaka a lot in one day, then maybe a day pass is good. Otherwise Kyoto would mostly be walking/bus so maybe the day bus pass and Nara would be walking or bus and again probably the bus day pass.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/26 05:45
Thanks for informative replies guys. A few more questions:

(1)
What is the coverage like for ICOCA for traveling within Kyoto or Osaka (not between the cities)?

Just like what you guys suggested, I don't think we're gonna make the most out of passes like a Kansai Thru Pass but having a pass also has a benefit of not having to get a ticket every single time you're jumping on a bus/train (or is it not that much of a hassle?)

(2)
Specific to Osaka Amazing Pass, that includes most of the 'usual' attraction in Osaka right? So even this pass is still not going to be too useful?

Thanks again :-)
by xtk rate this post as useful

Re: Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/26 05:59
Icoca card coverage is great in Osaka and Kyoto. Cannot think of one bus or train it doesn't cover.

You don't need to worry about tickets etc with a Icoca card, you just swipe/touch the card as required.

The Amazing Pass covers tourist locations. But not the main or best known tourist attractions. I personally wouldn't get it for myself, as only the Osaka Castle interests me from their list. But other people would find other places interesting.

Re: Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/26 06:02
The ICOCA Card isn't a pass, it's just an electronic card you can put funds on and tap as you enter and leave stations. It is incredibly convenient since as you said, you don't need to buy a ticket ahead of time and you can refill it as needed. It can also be used at lots of food kiosks in stations to pick up snacks. You can use it to travel between Osaka and Kyoto. (though I am less sure you can use it should you for whatever reason want to use a shinkansen, rather than special rapids.) So for example, last trip I used my Suica (The Kanto area version of the ICOCA card) to pay to take the Kintetsu line from Nara to Osaka. I later used the same card to take the Keihan line from Osaka to Kyoto. I just have to keep track of the balance and refill as needed. Since you're flying into KIX you might want to look into:

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/icoca-haruka/#price

Bus passes can be good deals if you use the bus enough.

I've never done the Osaka Amazing pass. The activities I've done in Osaka haven't been free with the pass so the 2500 yen pass hasn't covered enough for me to make it worthwhile.

Good luck! :)
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Choosing the right passes around Osaka 2018/1/26 07:54
In addition to the above info about Icoca card. Or any IC card for that matter. When you go through a fare gate at the end of your journey, it tell you what you were just charged for that trip and how much credit you have left on the card.

So it is easy to keep track of your credit. And if you are getting near zero balance. It takes 30-60 seconds to add more credit to your card on a machine. Which are normally located close to fare gates.

Buses screens are a little difficult to see. But since they cost 160ish yen per trip. You shouldn't have to pay too much attention to your balance while using buses.

reply to this thread