Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Middle name on JR Pass 2018/1/24 18:09
Hi everyone, I purchased JR Passes for myself and my boyfriend a couple of weeks ago however I've just noticed that I used my preferred name on my Pass. My preferred name does appear on my passport but as my middle name.

Say, for example, my name was Mary Elizabeth Jones, where Mary is my first name and Elizabeth is my preferred/middle name. If my JR Pass says Elizabeth and my passport says Mary Elizabeth, will I have issues exchanging my voucher?

Thanks!
by Janelle (guest)  

Re: Middle name on JR Pass 2018/1/25 04:11
Names must match the passport.... You should contact where you got your Japan Rail Pass Voucher as soon as possible to fix.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Middle name on JR Pass 2018/1/25 04:26
You should contact whoever you purchased the pass from & they will issue you with an amended exchange voucher. I had to get a replacement once (long story) and the Japan Travel Centre London issued me a replacement I collected on my way to the airport at no cost.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Middle name on JR Pass 2018/1/25 06:06
For the exchange voucher it is less important - they only require a first and last name as matched to your passport (the company I buy from only has space for two names - no middle names). When you do the actual exchange, copy the full name from your passport onto the actual pass.
Your advantage is that you have used the actual name from the passport and not some shortened version - I know people run into problems with that all the time. As we buy on behalf of our guests we stopped asking for names and get a copy of the passport so we can copy directly - we had a guest that used three different variations of her name and could never get a straight/convincing answer - passport copy solved that.
In your example, you might not have a problem, but you might have to explain the difference between given names and preferred names to the JR staff. To remove that doubt, you could return the voucher for re-issue. That would remove the possibility.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Middle name on JR Pass 2018/1/25 14:37
Got in touch with the agency and made arrangements to fix it. Thanks for all the help everyone!
by Janelle Guerrero (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread