Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 07:57
Hi, I'm planning my trip in Japan and I'm very confused with the train system.
I'm using Hyperdia at this moment and I have some questions:
1) When I search an itinerary between two cities, if they have more train stations, I have not understood how to recognize what is the exact station to depart or to arrive. Could you help me?
2) When in a Hyperdia itinerary there are some transits, often there are only 2 minutes before the next train leave. Is it sure that I'll be able to take the next train?
3) On Hyperdia is it possible to see the searched itinerary in a map?
4) How can I reserve the train seat online with JR?
Thanks very much!
by Alex (guest)  

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 11:39
1 - it is best to use google first to locate the station you wanna use, then use that station name in hyperdia. so you need to put a bit of homework it before you search. hyperdia uses station names and not cities in its searches.

2 - hyperdia transfers are unrealistic time wise. you can search individual legs of a journey, or click on the "interval timetable" to see other trains between those two stations for the whole day.

3 - again, google maps

4 - booking online for some trains can be done. JR East have their oown booking system, and JR Central and JR West have a booking app for the shinkasen between Tokyo and Fukuoka. JR Kyushu have a online system only for those with JR Kyushu passes. All these and their usages can be google to find out more info.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 12:20
For some reason Hyperdia has a good reputation among tourists to Japan, but as a long-term resident I find it extremely cumbersome to use and often inaccurate.

I generally just plug in my starting and ending points (hotels and other actual places I want to go, not train stations) into Google Maps. Google Maps will tell you which stations to use, and often give you alternative routes in case one route is faster even though the station is slightly farther away.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 12:25
Sometimes you can make a 2 or 3 minute transfer it depends on how much you need to make that transfer, how much stuff you have with you, and how well you know the station. I use to make a 3 minute transfer from the shinkansen in Shin-Osaka to the Limited Express Kurosio from Shin-Osaka because I had to. There was one Kuroshio an hour and I was staying out past Wakayama. I made sure to be at the shinkansen door with rail pass out. I ran down the stairs and knew where the other tracks were and then raced down them.

Sometimes the transfer is easy, like you just exit the train and walk to the other side of the track, so yes, you can make it in 2-3 minutes. Sometimes Hyperdia is not being realistic for someone who doesn't know the station.

Last time I was in Japan, I made an earlier transfer than the one Hyperdia recommended and could have made an earlier shinkansen but Hyperdia didn't realize it. It really depends on the specific situation and transfer.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 15:04
Hyperdia is always my go-to application when planning the itinerary and while we were there, used in conjunction with Google Maps. Both could be hit-and-miss but Hyperdia works 90% accurate for me.

Anyway, regarding the questions:
1. Find the nearest station to your destination. Hotels will state the nearest station, and search the access to get there from Japan Guide for attraction sites.

2. Some stations only have few lines that it's easy to spot which line to transfer, but always give some spare for moments of confusion, especially if you will carry luggage (some stations in smaller cities requires to cross over the platform and no elevator or escalator is available.

Use Hyperdia website to find the route and on each route click "Interval Timetable" to see when is the next train comes in case you missed the train while transferring.

3. No, use google maps.

4. As hakata14 said, some train operators allow online reservation, however if you are holding JR Pass, you may need to book it on the spot.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 16:59
I've always just used Google Maps, entering my actual destination rather than a station (the added bonus being that Google will often tell you which exit to take out of the station). I've never really understood the love affair with Hyperdia.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 20:55
1) and 3) must use Google MAP ,
If the road has a light pink color, it means underground station.
At the big terminal station, you can see the inside of the station by Street-view of Google MAP.

2) has been calculated in average speed, so it is in time,
but if you don't understand the rayout of the station, you may get lost.
Also, although train announcements using English after Japanese as automatic broadcasting,
but individual transit guidance by conductor is only in Japanese usual,
however, it will be easy to understand if you pay attention to some basic words and counting,
taransfering is "o-norikae(‚¨‚Ì‚è‚©‚¦)" (first "o" means a word of plite),
"For xxx" is "xxx-iki/yuki(xxs‚«)", track No. is "xx-ban-sen(xx”Ôü)" or "xx-ban-noriba(xx”Ô‚Ì‚è‚Î)",
time counting is "xx-ji(Žž, =o'clock as 24)" and "xx-hun(•ª =min)", so Let's remember from 1 to 59,
if track No.4 is "yon-ban-sen/-noriba)", if No.7 is "nana-ban-sen/-noriba".
if arr(“ž’… : touchaku) 13:59 is "juu-san-ji : go-juu-kyuu-hun", if 14:00 "ju-yo-ji choudo(=just)".
https://blogs.transparent.com/japanese/japanese-numbers-1-to-100/
https://youtu.be/sv0t0K24EI4
This is sample of transfering guide annoucement, you can read already, right?
https://youtu.be/bBWFI_UMs98
https://youtu.be/qPj9V8219Sg
(small note)
Some stns have "No.0" but 0 is also called same "zero", but this is rare case no worry.
JR Kyoto : https://goo.gl/g7FQyp
JR Matsumoto : http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1444.html
In Japan, like "London King's Cross railway station" in "Harry Potter", no such "No.9 3/4" tracks :)

4) is not for all JR trains, (mentioned already by above answerists)
and trains that can be booked online in English are limited.
"JR" is not only one company 6 exist, but they have English pages in all, open their web each.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html (remember 6 colors, if through Japan N to S wide)

5)
HyperDia is convenient for long distances,
also especially for Japan Rail Pass holders, but there is no function showing route map.
Google MAP is also convenient for middle/short distance searches,
but there is no function to change the setting in detail,
such as "JR" or not, "reserved seat" or not, sort by fare fr cheapest, and more,
always shows "fastest time" plan, this is not for good case a lot.
(if you have a cellphone or tablet PC with app og G, you can search by voice "from here" like this.)
https://youtu.be/teypN6V6PsM

And, both use the official timetable of the railroad company,
but do not correspond to the delay information.

Also, for looking for transfer station maps, there is only a part of the major station a map of English,
so you have to use "image search" of Google with "station name(in JP, kanjij xx‰w + \“à}".
The Japanese(written in kanji) of station name is easy to get at "wikipedia(English version)",
even by image search of G, but it is easier to use wiki for C&P.
(if look for "Hiroshima stn/-eki" of JR-WEST, input "L“‡‰w \“à}", no need "+", just put a "space")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroshima_Station
https://www.jr-odekake.net/eki/premises.php?id=0800613

Anyway, many Japanese who are not used to traveling in Japan are confused usual,
so it will be tiring if thinkin' too much/busy plans.
Result of HyperDia is correct or not, someone can be answered immediately if you post here ASAP.
But regrettable that the Q is not reflected in real time in this forum.
by Arei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 21:06
I use Hyperdia for all my trips, but only use it for information on what train transfer, and the time as a reference, I also use google map. Just do some homework before hand, I always plan my trip at least 10 months ahead, with many changes in between and a few final check within the last week before travel.

Although it's plan, but I usually do change where to visit and what to during my trip.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 21:09
Thanks for all replies, very useful!
So Ifll use Hyperdia combined with google and train website.
If I have some other question Ifll ask you again.
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 21:14
And, both use the official timetable of the railroad company, but do not correspond to the delay information.

Google Maps will in fact warn you if there are delays on a particular route (most of the time), and suggest alternate routes, unlike Hyperdia.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/25 23:42
I tend to use Hyperdia for the trips where even if there is a delay, I just need to wait because there is not going to be a faster way. Last time I was in Japan, there was a 30 minute-1 hour delay a few days on the Hokuriku shinkansen line. If you're trying to get from Kanazawa to Tokyo, even if there is a 1 hour delay, there is not another faster option.

I started using Hyperdia in '05 when Google Maps was just not as good for Japan. Hyperdia isn't perfect and can be buggy, but I find useful still when traveling longer distances. I don't use it for getting around Tokyo, I use it for timing trains from Tokyo to somewhere I need to go via shinkansen or Limited Express. And like a previous poster said, it's very easy to have it remove all Nozomi and Mizuho shinkansen, which if you have a rail pass you need to do.

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/26 02:35
Usually, the 2-3min connections are because you are only transferring 1 or 2 platforms over with no heavy luggage. I believe I watched a program that timed a old couple that was walking for a transfer and it was around the same time mark. It is possible with luggage but you will need to plan out which platforms and just walk into the train with the nearest door. You can always just walk to your proper train number and seat as the train is moving.
The other option is connecting to the next train.

BTW, Hyperdia has never failed me yet.

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/26 04:50
Hi, if I search Tokyo in Hyperdia is it Tokyo Station? Or can be also one of the other two stations in Tokyo? Thanks
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/26 05:09
Yes. Hyperdia does use the word "statio" in its naming system. So Tokyo would be Tokyo station. If ever unsure about a location. You can hit the map icon once your search results comes up.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/26 05:35
Usually, the 2-3min connections you do not get off the train.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Doubts using Hyperdia 2018/1/26 05:49
If you put in Tokyo as your starting point in Hyperdia it assumes you mean Tokyo Station unless you specifically pick: Tokyo DisneySea, Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo Skytree or Tokyo Teleport as the station. There are lots and lots and lots of stations in Tokyo itself though. If you want a specific station that is not Tokyo Station you need to know that station name and put it in instead.

I just had a bug on Hyperdia last night. I was trying to get info for the trip from Shimbashi to Ononimachi. Hyperdia kept insisting I should travel to Ueno and then take a Limited Express to Iwaki and then take a local train. If I put in Tokyo as the starting station, I got the actual fastest route of the shinkansen to Koriyama and the connecting local train. Shimbashi is maybe 6 minutes from Tokyo Station. There is no reason catching the shinkansen isn't faster.

And again, I've gotten and made 3 minute connections on Hyperdia where you have to get off the train, exit the shinkansen area and then catch another train within the same station complex. It's not easy and I couldn't do it if I was slow, had no idea what Shin-Osaka was like, or had suitcases, but none of those conditions applied.

reply to this thread