Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Could "shoganai" ever be offensive? 2018/1/26 07:31
If I ask a hotel or store employee if they speak English and they don't, then I say "shoganai" with a smile to imply "Ah, that's okay," could it actually come across as offensive? I don't want to imply that I expect them to speak English and that they've failed in some way. I just want convey "Just thought I'd try, but don't worry about it."
by Gregalor  

Re: Could "shoganai" ever be offensive? 2018/1/26 12:44
I think "wakarimashita" would be better, just to say "I got it/I understand." I would avoid using "shoganai" in that situation.

While "shoganai" can mean a neutral resignation "that's ok (since it cannot be helped)" and that you are making the best of the situation, it can also be interpreted to mean "ohhh that's too bad (you should be better equipped)" or "ohhh well, that can't be helped" in a bit mocking way, so I would avoid it.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Could "shoganai" ever be offensive? 2018/1/26 16:47
"shoganai" implies that you (the speaker) have been frustrated.
do not use that word, if you want to be a polite person.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Could "shoganai" ever be offensive? 2018/1/31 18:40
Thanks! I'm glad I asked before my trip. In addition to "Wakarimashita," would "Daijoubu desu" also be an acceptable way to say "That's okay, don't worry about it"?
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Could "shoganai" ever be offensive? 2018/2/1 05:55
Could just say thanks and nod your head in understanding.

Whenever I greet someone, I always say "hello" and "konichiwa." Since I'm caucasian, they'll answer the best language they can since I've given them two options.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread