Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/4 15:24
I am leaving for Tokyo, Japan in about a month, the only problem is my budget will be pretty tight. I have flight payed for and money for transport and the hostel, after that I have about $300-400 USD for food.
Looking for things to do for free I was immediately ( and surprisingly) overwhelmed with the amount of stuff to do for free. That said, what do you guys think are the most worthwhile places to visit free (or cheap) in Japan? I am willing to travel outside of Tokyo, but no farther than Kyoto or Osaka. Also if you know any cheap places to get good food it is also much appreciated.
by DanJpan  

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/4 19:23
It is not free to go to Kyoto or Osaka. So don't do that.

Window shopping is free. Most parks are free. Exploring back streets is free.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/4 21:12
Public transportation in Japan isn't free/cheap. If you really only have that budget, the only thing you can do is to roam around your accommodation on foot.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/4 21:19
Where are you visiting (or flying in/out of), and how long are you going to be here for?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 00:31
Visit shrines and outdoor places like parks and gardens. Some observation decks are free, like the Tokyo met government building in Shinjuku. Maybe some museums are also free, certainly many of them are cheap enough that you can visit two or three even on a tight budget. Bring a camera and take lots of beautiful photos.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 00:44
A lot of things are free and sometimes you don't need to spend a lot of money as long as you are willing to go on foot.

For me if it isn't shopping or eating, it is photography. There are lots of places to visit that is very photogenic like Asakusa, Tokyo Skytree from Sumida River, Zojo-ji with Tokyo Tower in the background, Akhihabara and Shibuya for its nightlife and neon. If you want to save even more money from food, there are lots of (standing) soba and ramen shops in train stations that sell bowls as low as \400. I go to convenience stores like 7-11 and I've actually ate breakfast for less than \300 and that includes drinks.

The reason why I suggest eating cheaply too is because you might want to use some money to at least buy a one-day subway pass if that isn't in your budget right now. Not sure how much you love walking but there are days when its raining and you want to take the subway instead.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 02:14
I'm sorry I forgot to mention I have already purchased a JR Railpass for travel
by DanJpan rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 02:17
Also I am flying in and out of Haneda Airport and staying close to Akihabara. Walking places is also great for me I was cross country runner so I can handle a little walking lol.

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 03:08
You are on a tight budget and you bought a JR Pass already, yet you don't want to go farther than Kyoto? That does not make financial sense to me. I would utilize the pass fully. Definitely go to Kyoto, Nara, and Miyajima (yes, you can go to all those places for "free" with your pass). You can sightsee for free (some temples are not free to go in, but you can view them from outside for free).

When I am on a tight budget, I buy food at convenience store or eat at tachigui (eat standing, no chairs) restaurants (mostly noodle shops) or Japanese style fast food restaurant (e.g., Sukiya etc.).

by Wakaran (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 04:50
I never get tired of walking around parks, shrines, and temples. (Although some of the best will charge a modest admission fee.)
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 05:20
If the budget is so little, i'd rather wait and save up more money and go next time, although you can enjoy a trip with minimum budget, it can also ruin your trip. if you have no intention of going to kyoto or osaka, why get the pass, with that cost you could have extra spending money.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 05:41
Hiking is free. Eg Takao San from Tokyo.
Most temples and shrines are free.
Going to the beach is free, eg Enoshima

You have a jr pass so going anywhere with JR trains is free.
So essentially most parts of Japan are free for you.

Lunch often is quite inexpensive. And have dinner from a conbini.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 13:44
If you think money is going to cause issues, I would consider refunding the JR pass and just focus on a good trip to Tokyo. There is a lot to do in the city and surrounding areas. Even more if you have an extra 30000-60000 yen.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/5 14:10
I think you will be okay, go and have a blast, that's al that matters.

The fact that you have a JR Pass helps allot, so traveling shouldn't hurt your pocket at all.

Went i went to Japan in 2016, i ate at 7/11, enjoyed here and there a restaurant meal, but mostly did 7/11 for meals, cause the are very cheap, as allot of previous comments say there are allot of free things to do, but their might be some places that may charge a small fee, just depends i guess.

One free thing i enjoyed was the Shinjuku Government Building Observing decks, that was a nice treat, and didn't cost me anything, and plus the views are amazing, and wasn't to hectically busy when i went.

Make the most of your time there, don't stress to much about your budget, just enjoy.
by Frankie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/6 07:55
WALK..Explore on foot..buildings, Architecture, back lanes and streets, Railway stations...and enjoy..
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/6 09:05
Just wanted to add that I have done Japan on a shoestring before.... My 16 days trip from Canada cost under $2000 including air, hotel(hostels), 7 days rail pass, attractions(most of them free) and food. The only extra cost was gifts at the end.

So it is doable for sure. Just focus your food budget on Lunch and cheap out on Dinner. There are many Amazing and cheap lunch sets. For dinner you can go to Konbini which still has very good food. Do mostly sightseeing, go to temples with free to little bit (500yen at some places) fees.

Free
Tokyo
-Walking around Akihabara
-Walking around Asakusa
-Walking around Ginza
-Sensoji Temple
-Tsukiji Fish Market (before they move)
-Walking around Harajuku
- Meiji Shrine
-Walking around Shibuya
-Amazing night time view in Odaiba
-Outside Tokyo Tower
-Outside Tokyo SkyTree
-Imperial East Gardens
-Ueno Park
-Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office

Kyoto
-Fushimi Inari Shrine
-Higashiyama District
-Gion
-Arashiyama and Sagano

Nara
-Nara Park
-Todaiji Temple outside view

Himeji
-Himeji Castle Outside look

Hiroshima
-Hiroshima Peace Park and Dome

Lake Kawaguchi
-Lake Kawaguchi to view Mt Fuji

Cost a little bit but also recommended
Kyoto
-Kiyomizudera Temple
-Ginkakuji (Silver Pavilion)
-Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)

Good Osaka food. This could get expensive depending on how you eat.
-Minami (Namba)

Hope this helps!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/6 14:05
In Tokyo I would also suggest a walk over the rainbow bridge. Very nice view. You walk on the sea facing side when walking TOWARDS Odaiba and on the city facing side when you come back.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/6 14:39
Echoing the rest of the comments, parks and back alleys are free. If you like nature, go hiking. There are plenty off-the-beaten path even in Tokyo and Kyoto accessible by JR Pass.

Most temples especially in Kyoto require admission. Consider to also explore the area at night, depending on when you'll be going.

Unless you have some other agenda in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto, a month + JR Pass is too much for just as far as Osaka/Kyoto. You can go corner to corner where living cost could be cheaper. If allowed to refund the JR Pass, do that as anything longer than the 7 day pass won't be paid off if you're only travelling back and forth Tokyo and Osaka. Better off save the money and use it to enjoy the trip.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/7 12:42
Thank you for all of the replies! I'll make sure and take into account all your recommendations and comments as I decide my itinerary for exploring Japan soon. Also thank you for the long itinerary idea list @Koohii2wii, I've definitely written a handful of them down for my "places to explore" list.

Re: Best stuff to do for free 2018/2/7 22:35
.......I have already purchased a JR Railpass for travel
DanJpan,This is the Best Decision you have ever taken.
One More Thing:If you want travel like Me,Then I can give you idea on My personal experience.After Landing Japan,I bought JR Nationwide pass From Kansai intl Airport.In My case,Money is not the problem.I came here For Travel As much as possible.I want to see,How Japan Looks Like.How they Build their country after WW2.So on My First Day I went Kansai intl Airport to Kagoshima and Back.On My second Day I went Shin Osaka to Sapporo.So if You are young generation,Your First priority will be Travel As much as possible.But My Dad and Mom Dont like cross country travel.So they most time stay in Hotel,go to onsen,Dine in a local restaurant and Hangout with their countrymen and travel a bit with local pass. How Many Days,you will stay in Japan?If more than 20 Days,I strongly recommend you to Buy 21 Day JR pass.
by jack (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread