Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 01:06
If I am travelling from Takayama to Matsumoto/Nagano to Tokyo. Should I stay in Matsumoto or Nagano?

Should I visit Matsumoto or Nagano if I have one night stay only?

Thank you for the reply.
by elaine3848  

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 10:46
Matsumoto has a nice castle, Nagano has a nice temple. Which do you prefer?

Nagano will be easier to go to with transport links, but Matsumoto is a bit prettier. Both towns don't have heaps to do. I normally use Nagano as a base for day trips but would definitely visit Matsumoto as it's castle is one of the best in Japan.....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 11:07
Thanks Mfedley for your advise.

Will station at Nagano and visit Matsumoto if times permit.
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 12:52
If you only have one night, it's far better to stay in Matsumoto. Not only is there a lot more to see and do there, the connections from Matsumoto are actually way better for the itinerary you mentioned. Nagano would be a detour.

Yes, the bullet train stops in Nagano city, but to get to Nagano, you'd spend extra time to get there. Instead of wasting that time on the train, spend the time in Matsumoto and see things -- the national treasure Matsumoto Castle, the Ukiyoe Museum, the City Art Museum, "Frog Street" (AKA "Nawate Dori"), the Nakamachi area, the view of the Japan Alps at sunrise, the great hotspring areas such as Asama Onsen, and so on.

You can take an Azusa Express from Matsumoto to Tokyo in about 2 hours 30 minutes and save the time and hassle of going to the very ho-hum Nagano city.

And if you're on a budget, there's even a highway bus that'll get you from Matsumoto to Shinjuku (Tokyo) for about 3,000 yen.
by Nakamachi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 14:00
Just confirming my comment about transport links. I was referring to traveling to different locations FROM Nagano (monkey park, Obuse, ski resorts, some nice shrines...). It does not take into consideration traveling from your original location.

Do note that Matsumoto is much more compact than Nagano which normally means you can see more in less time.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 14:51
Thanks Med

I will take the 3-star route Shinjuku ticket so I will stay in Matsumoto. Thank you.

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 14:54
Thanks Nakamachi San.

Appreciated the clear guide.

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 15:10
Since the bus from Takayama will end in Matsumoto, I think you have to at least visit the castle. It would be a shame to skip it when you will be just down the street. Regardless of where you end up staying.

Where are you staying in Tokyo? Another poster mentioned that the transfer to Tokyo are better through Matsumoto. But that is only true if you are staying near Shinjuku (Shibuya). If you are staying up near Tokyo/Ueno (Asakusa), then it is quite a bit faster to go through Nagano and take the bullet train. Of course the bullet train is more expensive, so that assumes you have a rail pass. If you don't have a rail pass, then I would actually recommend the bus from Matsumoto to Shinjuku, which is very cheap and only takes 30 minutes longer than train.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 15:27
Thanks Mfedley, Nakamichi, Me2

Below is my itinerary and I think I will go for the 3-star route shinjuku ticket.

Hope my itinerary is not bothering you all.

Mac 2018 Hotel
4 KL - Narita Mystays Nishi-Shinjuku
5 Shinjuku - Matsumoto Toyoko Inn Matsumoto
6 Nagano / Matsumoto Toyoko Inn Matsumoto
7 Matsumoto - Takayama Takayama Ouan
8 Takayama Takayama Ouan
9 Takayama - Shrikawago Shrikawago Terrace
10 Shrikawago - Kanazawa Toyoko Inn Kanazawa
11 Kanazawa Toyoko Inn Kanazawa
12 Kanazawa - Nagoya Mystays Nagoya Sakae
13 Nagayo Mystays Nagoya Sakae
14 Nagoya - Ueno Toyoko Inn Ueno
15 Ueno - Kamakura Toyoko Inn Ueno
16 Ueno - Yokohama Toyoko Inn Ueno
17 Ueno - Narita

Regards,

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/7 23:41
Hi!

Aren't you the person who was asking about castles? I think going to Nagoya from Kanazawa is an awful long trip just to see a castle. If you have other reasons to go to Nagoya, that's one thing, but if it's just for the castle, I am not sure it is worth the trip. The main keep is going to be closed starting May 7th so it can be reconstructed.

Since you're in Nagano Prefecture already have you thought about: Ueda Castle (in Ueda near Nagano, it's not listed on this site, but it's a fun little castle) Matsushiro Castle (also near Nagano.) Neither has a write on this website but both are interesting castles and might be more accessible from your itinerary vs. Nagoya. I also really enjoyed walking around Kawanakajima Park outside Nagano. 5 major battles took place there during the Sengoku period and there is a statue of Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin battling.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/8 02:25
If they are staying in Nagoya, there are quite a few more castles than just Nagoya Castle nearby. Within 45 minutes train ride from Nagoya, you can get to Kiyosu, Inuyama (original castle), Gifu, Hikone (original castle), Nagahama, Okazaki.

It might be a little more efficient in terms of travel to visit Nagoya in between Tokyo and Takayama, though, and do Nagano/Matsumoto on way back from Kanazawa. But if accommodations were already made, probably not worth changing them.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/8 07:04
You mentioned Matsumoto Toyoko Inn. The location is good. In the past I stayed at many Toyoko Inns here and there. They're OK. Clean, basic breakfast. But I no longer stay at Toyoko Inn. if you want a slightly nicer experience, consider one of these places in Matsumoto: Hotel Dormy (very close to Toyoko Inn), or Hotel Kagetsu (near the castle). If you want a budget experience, consider Matsumoto Backpackers. It's actually a small traditional-style Japanese house that is very nice and clean. And it's not far from the train station. The owners and their staff are all very nice and friendly.
by Toyoko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/8 08:09
With the Three Star Shinjuku Ticket, you will visit Matsumoto, Takayama, Shirakawago and Kanazawa. You are planning to go back via Nagoya to Tokyo, which takes more time and money as compared to going back via Hokuriku Shinkansen via Nagano.

Via Nagano, 152 min 14120 yen.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KANAZAWA&arv_no...

Via Nagoya, 262 min 16010 yen

Nagano: Zenkoji temple, Jigokudani monkey park, Obuse, Ueda etc. Colder.

Nagoya: Nagoya castle, Inuyama castle, aquarium, planetarium etc. Warmer.

Mid March is still winter in most of the places you will visit, and you might encounter snow and melting snow so that your shoes might get wet. Prepare waterproof shoes and preferably spare shoes.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/8 08:26
Also on the way to Nagoya you can visit Hikone which has one of the 12 original castles in Japan. Hikone is only 5 min train ride from Maibara which is on the way from Kanazawa to Nagoya.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/8 09:04
We went from Kanazawa to Matsumoto, and found it a very nice little town. The castle is really good. The older part of town has a lovely atmosphere and there is plenty of good food. I wanted to mention the wasabi farm https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6056.html which was a good way to spend an afternoon-we were there on the weekend, in the rain, and it was busy and very interesting. We got some wasabi paste to bring home that we are still enjoying.

The train ride back to Shinjuku gave us a view of Mt Fuji, entirely unexpectedly. So that's a little bonus-assuming the weather is your friend on the day.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto Or Nagano 2018/2/9 15:00
Thank you all for the suggestion. Will be stationed in Matsumoto and move around from there.

reply to this thread