Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/9 15:02
Can I have suggestion/advise on mode of transport from Kanazawa to Ueno.

No nightbus because it will be quite tiring. Thank you in advance.
by elaine3848  

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/9 18:14
Shinkansen.

https://goo.gl/qqtnLP

Kagayaki is the fastest train.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 00:20
Thank you. Frog

The fare from Kanazawa is 13190Yen (with reserved seat) & 6570Yen (without reserve seat). Is it must or advisable to reserve the seat ? Because the fare difference is lot.

By the way, I tried to book online for the three-star route shinjuku ticket (8560Yen) from Shinjuku to Kanazawa. But the web mentioned I am not able to book this ticket online. I can only book online ticket from Shinjuku to Matsumoto (again the fare for this route only is 3500yen) and purchase the three-star route ticket at the counter.

Can you assist is my google findings not correct.

Thank you.
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 00:37
Hi Elaine,

I can't answer your question on the bus but can about the shinkansen fares.

Hyperdia uses weird wording, and seat fare is something of a misnomer. The seat fare of 6570 yen is a combination seat fare and shiknansen express charge. In the case of the fastest shinkansen between Kanazawa and Ueno, the Kagayaki, all seats are reserved, so you must pay for a reserved seat.

If you look at the Hakutaka (a shinkansen that runs the same route as the Kagayaki, just more often and with more stops, so is about 20 minutes slower) you will see the default fare is 13910 yen as well and the "seat fare" is 6570 but if you click on the box, it will tell you the unreserved seat fare is 6050 and brings the total fare down from 13910 to 13390. So you do save money by not having a reserve seat but it's only 520 yen.

So in the end, you're not paying 6570 yen for a seat, you're paying 6050 yen in express train charges and 520 yen for a seat. :)

Hope this helps!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 01:19
Short version is that if hyperdia lists a seat fare, it is not optional. The fare you will pay is listed in the Route summary bar where it shows time, distance, total yen, etc.

And yes, now that the Shinkansen goes direct from Kanazawa in under 3 hours, it would be hard to recommend anything else. Willer express has buses that make that trip, but I think it takes 9 hours
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 05:57
Hi elaine,

About the misleading wording in Hyperdia, other posters already answered correctly.

By the way, I tried to book online for the three-star route shinjuku ticket (8560Yen) from Shinjuku to Kanazawa. But the web mentioned I am not able to book this ticket online. I can only book online ticket from Shinjuku to Matsumoto (again the fare for this route only is 3500yen) and purchase the three-star route ticket at the counter.

I think you might have read this site.

https://highway-buses.jp/ticket/route-shinjuku.php

Please see the description in the bottom [How to buy]

It says:

am afraid that you cannot purchase this special packaged ticket online.
Please reserve one way ticket from Shinjuku to Matsumoto on this website, and purchase "Three-Star Route Shinjuku Ticket" at the ticket counter when you pay for your reserved tickets at Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal.

I have not done online reservation for Shinjuku to Matsumoto, but I think you don't pay at this "reservation" process. Your payment should be done at Shinjuku Expressway Bus Terminal. The price 3500 yen is only for Matsumoto, so you will pay 8560 yen for Shinjuku-Matsumoto-Hirayu-Takayama-Shirakawago-Kanazawa. Please buy it at the ticket booth (according to the PDF I linked in another thread, it is in the "Information" on the B1 floor) on your first day in Shinjuku.

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 06:07
This ticket is valid for 7 days from the first day of your trip (Shinjuku to Matsumoto). If you want to travel longer, you must consider other ticket(s).

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 19:39
Thanks Rkold & Me2 on your reply for train. Hope I will get the 6K+ fare in the end.

Thanks Frog on the advise again. I will purchase the 3-route shinjuku ticket at the bus terminal on arrival at Shinjuku.

Thanks so much for all the assistance.
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/10 21:37
Kanazawa To Ueno
Regular shinkansen ticket is ‰~ 14,120. Hokuriku Arch Pass is excellent value if you are able to utilize the ticket for further travel.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_arch.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/11 00:15
THERE IS NO 6K FARE BY TRAIN!!!!!

Please re-read what I and Me2 wrote. Then read it again.

There is a BASE fare of 7340 yen for distance traveled.
There is the EXPRESS fare for using the shinkansen of 6050 yen.

If you take a shinkansen you MUST PAY BOTH. THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION.

There is a seat reservation fee of 520 yen required for the Kagayaki but optional but the Hakutaka.

If you decide to take only local trains it will cost you ~8000-9000 yen and take 10-14 hours. No, that is not a typo. If you want to sit on local trains for 12 hours, that is on you.

If you are looking for cheaper ways back, I guess you could see how much it would cost to fly form Komatsu airport to Haneda using an AIR PASS ticket, but I don't know if there are any available on your dates and you will need to contact the airlines on your own. You will need to pay to get from Kanazawa to Komatsu Airport and then pay to get from Haneda to Ueno. It is likely to cost the same amount as the shinkansen when all is said and done.

There might be cheaper night buses, someone who knows buses better can recommend.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Transport from Kanazawa To Ueno 2018/2/11 03:32
Looked up Willer Express rates for the overnight bus. It's 9 hours and as little as 3800y. If you can sleep on a bus, that would save hotel costs for that night, too. I know I wouldn't get enough sleep on a bus personally, but some people can do it.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread