Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day in Nara 2018/2/15 15:25
Hi

I will be in Osaka from 2/4 - 9/4 then Tokyo to 13/4/2018

While in Osaka we will take a day trip to Nara. As a JR Pass holder, which way is better to get to Nara,
JR train or Kintetsu line train ? Because JR Nara station is about 15 - 20 minutes walk to Todaiji Temple while Kintetsu train is very close to the temple.
Is it worthed to buy the day pass for buses if we probably going to visit Todaiji Temple and Nara Park
Is there a traditional market where I can find kokeshi and maybe Nara's special sweet or food
Where is the best place to get lunch? Or is it better to grab lunch box to take to Nara Park?
I want to visit Naramachi or one of the garden (Isuien or Yoshikien) but afraid maybe will be too much for my husband as he has backpain problem

Please I need some advise as I am not sure how far walking would that be

Thank you
by Margaret (guest)  

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/15 18:34
It's fairly obvious that taking the JR train is the better option if you have a JR Pass. The JR Pass isn't valid on the Kintetsu line. The walk from the JR station to Nara Park isn't long or strenuous; I quite enjoyed walking along the shopping road.

You can get around the major sights in Nara just by walking. No need for the bus unless you find a day of walking physically difficult. There are some small hills in the Park. If your husband has back issues, it may be best to take the bus.

Yoshikien and Isuien are right next to each other. Isuien is the most famous, but Yoshikien is also quite lovely and free for foreigners if you show your passport! I remember there being benches in Yoshikien, and a tea house quite near the entrance, so your husband could always sit there and admire the view while you explore the garden.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/15 18:42

where I can find kokeshi
They are sold in many, many places, even at Narita or Haneda airports.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/16 02:42
What I would do is train to Jr Nara, bus to Kasuga Taisha and walk back to Todaiji through the deer park. Then back to the station along Sanjo dori if the back allows. There are plenty of bus stops all the way if the back does play up. (I'm just adding the bus website url for reference. I'm sure you have already seen it) http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/language/en/pass.htm
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/16 04:50
Take a bus from the train station. You still have to walk a bit from the nearest bus stop to the temple, so if you cannot walk long distance, save you energy as much as you can. Whether to buy a pass or not depends on how many other places you plan to visit. The bus from JR station was relatively empty, but by the time the same bus stopped at the Kintetsu Nara train station on the way to the temple, it was packed. One time, I took a bus from the JR Nara station stop to the temple, it could not pick up any passenger at Kintetsu Nara bus stop, because it was too full.
http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/language/en/index.html
by 4ka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/16 08:18
Go to JR Nara station and walk from there - that way you can see more of Nara. If you want to walk less, get on the bus to the Kasuga Taisha stop and make a loop that gets you back to JR Nara station.
If all you did was Todaji, you are skipping a lot of things (like the 2nd tallest pagoda in Japan - not many people visit the tallest one in Kyoto).
Personally I don't think the distance between the two stations is very far, and with a JR Pass, why not use the JR trains.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/17 10:02
Thank you all for your helpful advises , I am sure will take them into consideration
@JapanCustomTours which one is the second tallest pagoda ? And the tallest pagoda in Kyoto as you mentioned.
I have seen the bus route, is it correct that there are 2 route as in clockwise and anticlockwise?
As a general question, I'm looking Kokeshi dolls that are made in Japan, as I pressume we can find that are made in China, but while in Japan I would like to get the Japan made one :-)

Thanks
Margaret

by Margaret (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/17 17:36
Yes the Nara City Loop line runs both clockwise & anticlockwise. I have bought many Kokeshi for my sister & most have been clearly labeled "Made in Japan" I really try to buy locally made gifts. Have fun, your post has made me realise that it's been 6 or 7 years since I have been to Nara & to start thinking of going again

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/18 08:52
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4101.html
Part of the Kofukuji temple complex.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/19 11:09
Thankyou @Stan Norrell , yes maybe it's time for you to visit Nara again, I am guessing you live in Japan , we sometime tend to take it for granted and not making enough effort to appreciate while it is available-:)

Thanks also @JapanCustomTours you are really helpful
by Margaret (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day in Nara 2018/2/19 21:34
@Margaret AH, that would be nice but I live in the UK. I take your point about not visiting things that are close to you though. I do visit Japan every 18 months & hope to be back in late November this year for two weeks of autumn colour. I'm currently thinking of arriving at Kix & visiting Matsue, Okayama & Nara as well as Osaka.

reply to this thread