Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 2018/2/17 20:51
Can I reserve seats on Shinkansen before arriving in Tokyo at all? We will go from Tokyo to Hiroshima with large suitcases and were hoping to get a back seat to put our bags behind the seats. Thanks
by Tam (guest)  

Re: Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 2018/2/18 08:10
If you live in United States, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia or Hong Kong, you can download a smartphone app that allows you to make reservations:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2018.html
https://smart-ex.jp/en/

Note that Japan Rail Pass users cannot use this app to make reservations, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 2018/2/18 08:44
You dont need the back seats to use back storage space. Just be the first ones on the carriage and place them there.

If there is already bags there, which tends to be highly rare. Then lift those bags and place your underneth those bags.

Best to board the rear door so you can access the area first.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 2018/2/18 08:49
If there is already bags there, which tends to be highly rare.
Quite common, especially on Hikari and Sakura trains. Less common on Nozomi.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 2018/2/18 08:54
Maybe I've dodged the busy trains then. I tend not to use the train between 10am-3pm as the are full of more tourists. Hence why I probably haven't had issues with luggage storage.

But I did have a train once. And a local gave me the same advice about luggage as I passed on.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Reserving seats on the Shinkansen 2018/2/18 16:56
I have travelled with a bicycle in a box and have generally been able to use the storage space without problem. I have on occasion had to stand in the part between carriages with my bike for at least part of the journey although that hasnt been that common. Standard size suitcases will fit on the overhead racks which reduces the number of people using the space behind the last set of chairs.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread