Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/18 09:15
During my tree day visit to Ishigaki I want to visit Iriomote island on a day trip. I do not interested in kayaking or long way hiking but the river cruises seem fun.

I plan to go to Uehara port early morning catching one of the Urauchi river cruise boats. Then short hiking to the waterfalls at the end.

How does the cruise work if you get off and walk to and from the waterfall? Can I get on any of the cruise boats returning to Uehara?

How do I get from the port to the river start?
by John (guest)  

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/18 18:54
This is an easy answer - join a tour!

http://ishigaki-dream.co.jp

There is an english menu option up the top. Also, all of these tours can be booked on Japanican if you want to have good excellent translations and someone to contact in English before the tours....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/18 20:52
Ah.. the tour seems a bit way off my budget really..

I still consider doing this on my own.

Do you know about the river cruise if one gets off and hikes to the waterfall? Do I need to walk back to Uehara by myself or can I get on any ferry back through the river?
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/18 22:16
Before you say it's too expensive (the day trips), consider the following.

1 way to Uehara (2360 yen)
Urauchi River Cruise (1800 yen)

This is a total of 6520 yen. It's also a 6km walk one way from the ferry to the boat terminal.

I did however note that none of the tours seem to include your walk though....

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 05:54
I read something about a shuttle bus to the river cruise, but not sure how accurate the information is.

The waterfall is mentioned here on Japan Guide.

I dont mind tours but I find it a bit too stressful since I like to do things in a slow pace.

Also, I plan on buying a 3 day boat pass since I plan on going to a few islands other than Iriomote.

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 15:14
Im going there later this week. Pm me and ill confirm when I am there. I leave for Ishigaki tomorrow

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 17:42
Cool. I'll register on JP guide and return to you. No rush. Please enjoy your trip.

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 19:16

I stayed 4 nights in Ishigaki one Oct a few years ago; and initially planning to visit different island each day. However, we finally decided to join the dream tours, a different tour each day. Unless you do a lot of water sport, we don't, I would say guided tours would still be a good option. The group was fairly small and no rush at all; in fact the Kohama island tour was only 2 of us, we felt as if it was a private guided tour. We managed to visit Iriomote, Chubu, Taketomi, and Kohama islands.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 19:24
Sorry , not Chubu but Yubu island.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 20:26
I am kinda considering doing at least one tour. Taketomi is fairlyily small so I felt like doing it by myself, perhaps on arrival day to Ishigaki if weather is fine.

I also consider Hateruma but since I as you also stay 4 nights and they say it can't be done as a daytrip I might reconsider...

I found no tours only covering Ishigaki,
Most seeem to combine it with Taketomi as well. But it would save the effort of finding a rental car. Maybe there is not much more to see that can only be seen with your own wheels?

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/19 21:28
There are day tours of Ishigaki by itself, but it's the same tour that includes Takitomi Island in the afternoon. That's the tour I'll be completing and I don't really do tours. My tour was 6,900 yen from memory and the Takitomi part was a buffalo ride and time to yourself to explore the island. It did not seem as 'bus tourey' as the first part on Ishigaki. I'm also planning on visiting the main town on Ishigaki for half a day by walking and the like. I'll have a blog post on that in probably 3 weeks....

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/20 06:52
Cool. I'd love to read it but please, no rush. Enjoy your trip.

Re: Iriomote day trip ideas 2018/2/20 15:37
Hi John,

I just got into my accommodation and they have a bus timetable in English. It looks quite barebones with 4 buses a day. PM me with an email address and I'll email you the photo.

reply to this thread